Hi, I'm new here!

chickenlover50010

Kernal Fan Club Member
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
South Jersey
Hello! I am new here, and I am a newbie... I will need LOTS of help! I am trying to convince my parents to let me buy two or three chickens so any good persuasion info would be a big help! I do have a dog though, so would I still be able to own some chickens? Thanks!
yippiechickie.gif

Welcome!
You have to train the dog to be nice to the birds. We have 4 dogs, and 37 chickens, and they all get along great!

Welcome,

Try and get themto realise the benefits:

Fresh eggs every day

great fun

you will be learning alot of responsibility.

All good things for young people and your parents will enjoy it too.

Wishing you luck.

Jena.

Welcome to BYC!

First, some dogs will never be safe around chickens. Some people have said their dog would never hurt their chickens and a year later the dog killed one. What kind of dog do you have? Some dogs really do seem to be perfectly safe with chickens so you will have to be the judge of the possibility of your dog seeing your chickens as toys or a meal.

Do you live in town or in the country? Are you allowed to have chickens where you live? What about Roosters? If you get several chicks and find out you have a Rooster can you relocate it? (Sell it, give it away or eat it.) You definitely want at least two and three hens would be better so if something happens to one you would still have two. Chickens are very social and need another chicken as a companion if at all possible.

Can you provide a safe, warm coop and run for them? Will you be able to free range them or will you need to build a large enough run for them to be happy/healthy?

Fresh eggs are wonderful.

Talk to your parents about your willingness to take on this responsibility and, hopefully, you are already showing them you are responsible by keeping your room picked up, helping around the house and having a good attitude toward life. Get educated about chickens so you can show your parents you are serious and know what you are doing. They are most likely going to want to know the costs associated with owning chickens ... do your research so you can show them that up front.

Good luck.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
You'll learn lots here.

I have chickens and a dog, but the dog came after the chickens. I'm sure lots of folks can advise on that issue. Good Luck and have fun!!!

welcome-byc.gif

The chickens LOVE to eat bugs!

They eat weeds!

Their soiled litter can be seasoned in a compost are to make a rich fertile soil topping!

They are REALLY funny to watch!

They eat leftovers!

Provide organic eggs!

Best of luck in convincing your parents!

Back
Top Bottom