1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, I'm new here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenlover50010, Jan 19, 2009.

1. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Hello! I am new here, and I am a newbie... I will need LOTS of help! I am trying to convince my parents to let me buy two or three chickens so any good persuasion info would be a big help! I do have a dog though, so would I still be able to own some chickens? Thanks![​IMG]

2. Samarai Jenn

Samarai Jenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Welcome!
    You have to train the dog to be nice to the birds. We have 4 dogs, and 37 chickens, and they all get along great!

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome,

Try and get themto realise the benefits:

Fresh eggs every day

great fun

you will be learning alot of responsibility.

All good things for young people and your parents will enjoy it too.

Wishing you luck.

Jena.

4. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Thanks! I realy hope that they will let me get chickens...I LOVE them![​IMG](as you already know, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for that!)

5. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC!

First, some dogs will never be safe around chickens. Some people have said their dog would never hurt their chickens and a year later the dog killed one. What kind of dog do you have? Some dogs really do seem to be perfectly safe with chickens so you will have to be the judge of the possibility of your dog seeing your chickens as toys or a meal.

Do you live in town or in the country? Are you allowed to have chickens where you live? What about Roosters? If you get several chicks and find out you have a Rooster can you relocate it? (Sell it, give it away or eat it.) You definitely want at least two and three hens would be better so if something happens to one you would still have two. Chickens are very social and need another chicken as a companion if at all possible.

Can you provide a safe, warm coop and run for them? Will you be able to free range them or will you need to build a large enough run for them to be happy/healthy?

Fresh eggs are wonderful.

Talk to your parents about your willingness to take on this responsibility and, hopefully, you are already showing them you are responsible by keeping your room picked up, helping around the house and having a good attitude toward life. Get educated about chickens so you can show your parents you are serious and know what you are doing. They are most likely going to want to know the costs associated with owning chickens ... do your research so you can show them that up front.

Good luck. [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] You'll learn lots here.

I have chickens and a dog, but the dog came after the chickens. I'm sure lots of folks can advise on that issue. Good Luck and have fun!!!

9. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

[​IMG]

The chickens LOVE to eat bugs!

They eat weeds!

Their soiled litter can be seasoned in a compost are to make a rich fertile soil topping!

They are REALLY funny to watch!

They eat leftovers!

Provide organic eggs!

Best of luck in convincing your parents!

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by