Hi I'm new here.

Sharmochic

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2019
Northern Utah
I have been a hobby chicken raiser off and on for over 20 years and am now getting back into it. I would like to be able to be self sufficient in raising and keeping my flock going through the years. Is this a goal that is reasonable? Do I need to introduce new genes every so often? I read that in order to be able to be self sufficient in providing my own flock through the years I need to stick with one breed since hatching rates drop dramatically after the 2nd generation of mixed breeds. What are your experience in this area? Is this true? Maybe that is why none of the eggs I got from my neighbor seem to be viable. They were all mixed.

:welcome

If you want to keep a steady supply of eggs over the years, you will want to introduce new birds periodically. You can do that by either hatching your own with a broody or an incubator (or of course, an outside source of chicks).

Best of luck with all your plans!

Welcome to BYC. I only used to raise mutt birds / deliberate mixes and never noticed a drop in laying in second generation birds :confused:

More generally, this is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom