1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, I'm new here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by debid, Jan 20, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've been reading and enjoy your forum so I thought it was high time I registered and introduced myself.

I do not yet have chickens but have a stack of drawings I've made for a 4x8 coop with a 10x10 run. We plan to build it over the next month and get pullet chicks in March/April/May (whenever the hatchery can fill my order). I live in middle TN and have a 20-acre homestead just begging for farm animals to come live here so we thought we'd start with chickens.

We have a big spaniel (no hunting for him and he sits and watches the turkeys and deer that pass through so I'm hoping he isn't a problem) and a cat (someone's dump & run pet -- she lives outdoors with a shelter and she's a very friendly cat but also a hunter -- she worries me a bit as I've seen her take down a squirrel...)

I'm bound to have a million questions so I'm thanking everyone in advance for tolerating my ignorance and sharing their wealth of experience.

2. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG] from Illinois

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana! Very wise of you to work on the coop first!!! That not the usual here, LOL!! [​IMG]

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Ga.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:Yeah... my folks bought 4-weekers, put them in a thrown-together brooder, and then were startled when their chicks were feathered out with nowhere to go because they hadn't even started the coop (too busy playing with the chicks). Whoops! They ended up partitioning off a portion of an existing (and very expensive!) shed. I've vowed to learn from their mistakes.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    4' x 8' is a nice sized coop. Good planning makes all the difference. Welcome to BYC!

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] from Syracuse, NY

I'm sure you'll get more answers than you've got questions, so ask away.

Rancher Hicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by