Hi. I'm new here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Noobie farmer, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Noobie farmer

Noobie farmer In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    NW Georgia
    My Coop
    I'm also new to the world of raising chickens. This is my first year. We built an awesome coop with a little yard, some perches, a small concrete lined puddle we keep filled with collected rain water and a sand pit under the house for them to hang out in. They love it and we love them. We even set up some chairs so we can hang out and just sit in the shade watching them. We got our first egg a couple days ago on 7/22/2014. We have 8 birds total. 4 White Leghorn hens, 2 Silver Tipped Wyandotte hens, and 2 Black Australorp roosters.
    The problem is 8 is our limit and we didn't expect any roosters, let alone 2 of them. They are docile and friendly, but they are reaching sexual maturity and are beginning to drive the girls crazy as well as square off with each other. They aren't mean and no one has been hurt yet, but we want to nip this in the bud. We would like to find someone in our area willing to trade one of our beautiful, well fed and extra healthy roosters for a young laying hen. We would be happy with almost any kind of hen but we would like most to either add a Rhode Island Red or just swap it out for a female black Australorp. Would anyone here be willing to make a straight trade? If so feel free to contact me here or my Email (which I can give you if you don't have access to it here).

Sincerely,
    Noob

P.S My Avatar pic is of the Roosters in question.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Kelsie has given you a couple of great links to follow for finding a home or trade.

I hope you can locate someone soon. Welcome to our flock!

Oh, and he is a gorgeous rooster!!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Two roosters are definitely too many for a small flock of hens. If you don't intend to have "fertile" eggs for hatching you don't even need one rooster.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on too many roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Any more roosters than that can quickly lead to aggression, fights, feather plucking, and over-bred and battered hens. I replied to four posts yesterday where new members were having these kind of problems because they had too many roosters. When you really get down to it, as drumstick diva said, the only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). Good luck with your flock.

7. Noobie farmer

Jul 24, 2014
    NW Georgia
    My Coop
    Cool. Thank you everyone for such quick and helpful responses. I will check out the my state thread and see if anyone would like to trade.

8. Welcome to BYC. PM me when you can. I may be able to help you out depending on where you are in the state.

9. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC.

10. Noobie farmer

Jul 24, 2014
    NW Georgia
    My Coop
    Soon as I learn how.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by