hi I'm new to having chickens but I need some advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by destinyschild75, Mar 13, 2016.

1. destinyschild75

destinyschild75 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    I have an almost 2 year old rooster and he got attached by a opossum and it ate most of his comb and now he won't eat and he sticks his head in as much water as possible to get some water I killed the opossum but I don't know how it got in his coop at night but it did please help me he's my baby and don't want to lose him

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If it only damaged his comb, he should be able to eat or drink. Are you sure that his beak is not injured?

3. destinyschild75

destinyschild75 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    It could be injured but he want let get near him at all now before he would get in my lap and sit for long periods of time

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can try providing moistened mash in a deep dish, but if his upper beak has been broken or removed he may not be able to eat.

5. destinyschild75

destinyschild75 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    Thank you I will try everything he's our baby and I don't want to lose him

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. destinyschild75

destinyschild75 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    Thank you for the welcome I got him to eat some scrambled eggs with a little olive oil on them he ate bout a 1/3 of it so I'm happy he's trying to eat but is there like an antibiotic to help him heal alittle faster or is there something I could do for him he let me pet him but then walked away he's got I think a crack in his beak it is sore I tried to feel it but he wouldn't let really take a good look or feel of it he also has some white stuff coming from his eyes as well now please help me get him better

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post in full detail at " emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - photos are good also to show the extent of the damage. Chickens generally have great recuperative powers after injuries but, may go into shock, or have major damage that cannot be healed. Could you take him to a vet?

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello and i hope that your roo manages to thrive once more!

All the best
    CT

10. destinyschild75

destinyschild75 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    Thank you for the welcomes and advice got some good news he's earring some cat soaked in water he ate almost all of it and he seems to be getting a little better I'll take pics tomorrow and see what y'all think bout what I should do he's getting back to letting me pet him some just still want get in my lap but I'm letting him take his time bout that thank y'all again for the help and welcomes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by