Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by babymaker64, Jan 7, 2008.

1. babymaker64

babymaker64 New Egg

Jan 7, 2008
    Hello everyone. I've been reading this forum for quite a while but only just joined. [​IMG] I have no chickens yet but I would dearly like one as a pet. I adore them. I would like it to live in the house but I have a rather large house rabbit. Here's Stanley.
    [​IMG]
    He is very gentle. Do you think that it would be ok to keep them together? Hope to pick everyones brains in the near future. [​IMG]

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

He is a bit larger than "large!" What a beauty, don't know about the cohabitation thing...rabbits get along with cats, why not chickens?!

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welcome to the forum - I have seen where people keep their outdoor chickens in the same pen as rabbits, so I don't think it would be an issue inside.

My bet is that the chicken would pretty much ignore the rabbit.

There are also chicken diapers (www.chickendiapers.com) you can get to make your house chicken less messy!

Also bantum breeds like Silkies an others make good house chickens because they are smaller and tend to be more 'lovable' - silikes especially.

You'll find loads of info here - just ask!

4. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    HOLY COW ! That is one monster of a rabbit you've got there !Sorry , where are my manners . WELCOME to the forum ! Don't know anything about rabbits and chickens living together , but keep checking the posts . I'm sure someone out there will have the answer ! Cute kids too ![​IMG]

5. babymaker64

babymaker64 New Egg

Jan 7, 2008
    [​IMG] He's only 9 months old and weighs 19lbs. Still a baby. His grandad weighs just under 30lbs so Stanley has a lot of growing to do yet. Thankyou all for your nice welcome. I really need a lovely white silkie to join my family. I can't stop looking at all the pictures.

6. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome, babymaker! We keep our chickens and our rabbits together, and have never had a problem. Chickens are very social creatures, so you might want to consider having at least 2. We have four right now, all just started laying [​IMG]

I hope you are able to get a few, they are alot of fun, and ours come in the house often (we don't have carpet [​IMG] ) They are a delight to own, and we never have any fruit or veggie scraps to throw away, (or compost :mad: ) .

Welcome again! [​IMG]

Tanya

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome to BYC Babymaker............ [​IMG] that is one big rabbit.....geesh........I would be afraid of it.....haha...glad you joined.........

8. babymaker64

babymaker64 New Egg

Jan 7, 2008
    The only thing that is stopping me at the moment is, I want a very young chick and as far as I have read, you can't sex them at this age. My neighbours would kill me if I had a cock that crowed. lol

9. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    HA HA !! That sounds familiar . I started looking at pics too at first , just wanting a "few" chickens . You'll find out quick enough that your one chicken will turn into ten times that over the years ! I'm "looking" again too this year for only three . We'll see how strong my will power is ![​IMG]

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Welcome! I have a pug named Stanley who is smaller than your rabbit!!
    We have a house rabbit too, but he is a Californian and somewhat smaller than that. Bigger than he should be, but smaller than that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by