Hi I'm new to the site AND to chicken-raising!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yesfantina, Apr 16, 2011.

1. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Hi - I'm Tina - from a rural part of New Jersey - and I'm new here. I've done some reading and searching of posts and finally registered today, so I guess I should introduce myself:

Starting with the 'template' -

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    yes, I am new to chickens. We've talked for years about getting them, but for some reason decided to finally stop talking about it and to DO something about it.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Well.. I just ordered from mypetchicken.com - 2 red star hens and 3 assorted feather legged bantoms. Our baby chick delivery week is May 2nd.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    see #2

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I bought Raising Chickens for Dummys a couple weeks ago. And from googling

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I love boardgames - specifically the (mostly) German designer games, like Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, etc..
    I enjoy my vegetable garden. Gardened regularly for about 10 years, then didn't for a number of years - just started again last year.
    I love progressive rock music. Old school Yes(yesfantina), Genesis.. newer band like Porcupine Tree, Flower Kings. Love concerts.
    I love my kids :) Tho they're older teens and into their 20s now, my girls home and busy keeping us all on our toes w/ drama.
    I enjoy cooking and finding and trying new - sometimes vegetarian recipes.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    Married forever - I've been a stay at home mom for 25 (ack!) years. 3 daughters - 23, 19, 16. We have 2 dogs, a 14 year old Norfolk terrier and a 4 yr old bratty American Eskimo. I think about joining the work force cause money is tight, but haven't seemed to actually do it yet.

We are all really excited about this whole chicken project. We spent a good deal of time at the local tractor store last week holding chickens and talking about what we need and what we need to do. My 19 yr old is all set to start building a brooder in the basement (the guy said that's where we should put them) next week.

I'm in the process (i think) of buying a prefab coop from cconly.com - the coops look bigger than a lot of what i've seen elsewhere. My husband is a computer geek and we have no tools or knowhow for handyman stuff, so we were VERY hesitant about starting from scratch. I posted a question over in the coop area asking for feedback about cconly. I'm hoping to hear good things. I realize it's probably not the BEST way to start, but .. it seems from here that prefab is certainly the easiest.

I guess that's it for now.
    Thanks for all the help I've already gotten from this site as well as the future help :)
    -Tina

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. There are experts of every kind on this site. Glad you decided to join.

5. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Welcome!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] You'll have LOTS of fun!!! Good luck with your chickens... [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your new chicks. [​IMG]

7. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Hi and welcome! [​IMG]

10. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    I am new to raising chickens too,I just ordered my first chicks at My Pet Chicken!! [​IMG]
    And [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by