Hi! I'm new to this whole chicken thing.

haleyannxoxoxo

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2018
Puyallup, WA
Hello! My names Haley. I'm brand new to the chicken thing. We live within city limits in WA and will be raising urban chickens. :) I know a few people who raise free range chickens but no one with experience raising chickens in an urban setting.

We just picked up a rhode island red, buff orpington, gold sex link, ameraucana, and a sagitta. A friend is sending me home with two silver lace wyondottes tomorrow, as well. We wanted good layers who aren't super flighty and will make docile pets with good handling.

I have them on a medicated start and grow chick crumble right now, with chick grit (granite), and chick-specific electrolyte fortified water. They have a heat lamp, and my husband is building a nice big indoor brooder as I type so we can add roosting poles and offer enough space for 7 large breed chicks. I read today that a clump of grass with dirt attached is a good thing to add, so I did that this morning- they seem to love it.

I honestly have no idea which is which. I know which one the rhode island is, just because she is red. Two of them are goldish, one lighter than the other, and one is really pretty black/silver/mottled color and fluffier than the others. The biggest one (she is a couple days older than the others), has lots of coloring. I'll get pictures later and post.

I found out about this site while I was doing some homework before picking out my chicks. Almost every google search I start lands me here, so I figure this would be a good place to get help and learn as we figure this out.

I am a patient account coordinator for a nursing unit in a healthcare admin facility. My husband is a carpenter. We have a big lab/pointer/dane mix, and a blended family of 4 girls with a new baby girl on the way (coming in July). I am a photographer, paper crafter, and crisis counselor as well as a peer advocate and substance-use recovery rockstar/member of NA. I volunteer for NAMI and PAWS, too.

I'm excited for this new adventure with chickens. My husband is excited to have something fun to do as the weather clears up. He likes to stay busy building stuff, and is an animal lover, so this works out.

I'm happy to be here, am open to ideas/suggestions, and have no idea what I'm doing so am very happy to be teachable. :)

G'Day from down under Haley :frowWelcome and Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may also be interested in these links:

:welcome

You chose some nice breeds to start with, I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!

How lucky you are to have a carpenter in the family...better get him started on a coop asap, those little balls of fluff grow fast.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom