Hi I'm new! Wondering if it's ok to clean up coops because I'm pregnant!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brielin024, Jan 24, 2017.

1. brielin024

brielin024 Just Hatched

Jan 23, 2017
    I'm pretty new to owning chickens. We have 11 mixed breed chicken/roosters and 5 guinea fowl. I have two coops
    I cleaned one the other day and the smell was super strong and when I started removing layers of straw it had such a strong ammonia smell I felt like it might not be ok for me to be in there being pregnant. I put on my husband's respirator mask and finished the job but the other coop needs it too and I'm just looking for reassurance from any chicken moms with experience.
    I don't want to do anything unhealthy fir my baby and my husband said he'd do it but that hasn't happened and it's getting stinkyer by the day :/

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hello, and [​IMG] glad you joined our fun group of fowl folks.

The baby is always important! I've never heard of any birth defects caused by ammonia, but I would go ahead and take the precautions. Ammonia can't really do any harm to the skin, but I would wear a mask anyways. Good luck with your baby!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, brielin024, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I sure don't know the correct answer to your question, but it appears others have asked it in the past. Here are a couple old links where it is discussed:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...coop-laying-and-chicken-chores-while-pregnant
    and https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/210995/okay-to-keep-chickens-while-pregnant
    I think erring on the side of caution would be the wise thing - dust masks, etc. Just my two cents. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC and good luck with your pregnancy!

2 people like this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under brielin024 [​IMG] Welcome!

Good tips so far and hopefully the links redsoxs have given you will help with your concerns.

Best wishes to you and bubby.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC

CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a shame your husband won't take the chores over while you are pregnant. I would strongly suggest you keep using the mask and wash your hands often - just in case of salmonella or something else - you wouldn't want to catch while pg. Is it possible you could hire someone to clean the coop? If your husband isn't okay with that - then HE SHOULD do the cleaning.

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I think you should check with your doctor. Congrats on the upcoming baby and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  8. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by