Hi im new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Danika, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Danika

Danika New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    I have this hen that for the last 5 days wont come out of the roost box. Think soemthing is wrong. Her comb is a lighter red and it has flakes on it. When I take her out a few of the other hens pickn on her and the roster wont touch her. She is 7 months and a treat layer till now. Please help with my chicken.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us, although I realise that its not under the best circumstances. It could that she has some kind of sickness, not I'm honestly not sure. You could post on the ER forum, where the experts may be able to make some suggestions and help you out - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Best wishes
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is she sitting on eggs in the nest box? If so she may be broody - wanting to hatch eggs and raise the chicks. Broody hens may refuse to leave the nest to eat, drink, poo so have to be put out a least a couple times of day to tend to that. Otherwise they can starve themselves.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your young lady. I too agree that's she is either under the weather or being broody. Is she eating and drinking when she comes out of the box? Sometimes other flock members can pick on broody hens when they come off the nest and like wise if they are under the weather. It's in a flocks nature to outcast anyone who is sick so they are not open to a predator attack. If you dont want her to be broody or you think she is sick I would remove her from the nest box to a seperate place and see what she does. What breed is your girl? Certain breeds are known to be very broody.

Good luck with her :fl

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Danika, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. Hope BYC is able to help you with your chicken issues. Best wishes and thanks for joining! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, Danika, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us today, but sorry to hear about your hen! :( You have gotten good advice and suggestions, so I will just say Hi! :frow and good luck!

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! I'm sorry about your hen, hopefully she is just broody. A pale comb in common in broody hens. You have been given some great advice, info, and links so I'll just say enjoy BYC and have a great time! [​IMG]

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by