Hi, I'm new...

TurkeyIsland

Hatching
Oct 19, 2016
Friday Harbor, WA
My husband and I just bought a cute little house on slightly less than an acre (0.84.) We're looking forward to learning the basics of self-sufficiency and homesteading on a small scale while we wait for the larger acreage of our dreams to come on the market. (We live on a small island, so patience is sometimes required in this regard.)

Our long-term goal is to raise heritage turkeys (and grass-fed lamb, but that's for another forum...) but in the meantime, on our smaller property, we are going to start with a few chickens to hone our poultry-keeping skills. I am crazy about turkeys. They are so beautiful, I love their personalities, and they are hands-down my favorite kind of animal to eat. Delicious.

In the past I worked as an aviculturist (i.e. incubator, hatcher, and sometimes feeder/weaner) for a few different zoological organizations, and worked with a huge variety of bird species. But it has been several years, so I definitely need some refresher courses before I'm back up to snuff.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody here, building up my knowledge of both turkeys and chickens, and planning my turkey-filled future. Huzzah!

Greetings from Kansas, TurkeyIsland, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! You can talk turkey with other turkey folks here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys
And makes sure your visit your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

Hello there,and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am glad you joined us! I know there are many books that have been written about farming on half acre or one acre, and almost all of them include chickens! Good luck with your ventures and I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I am happy you joined us! Congrats on chicken keeping! I too like turkeys, but don't have the space for them at the time.
Were glad to have you as part of our growing community! Have a great time on here and best wishes!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom