Hi I'm New!

Melissa_WV

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2018
I live in the hilly middle of West Virginia. Raised chickens as a kid and have just gotten back into it in the past year. I live in "predator holler" and have lost chickens to raccoon, possum, neighbor dogs and who knows what else. I have implemented some security measures and I am hoping for no more losses to predators. My main reason to join is for buy/sell/trade with other people in or near WV. I also want to learn more....the article about eggs, blush, and washing in water only was an eye opener.

I live in the hilly middle of West Virginia. Raised chickens as a kid and have just gotten back into it in the past year. I live in "predator holler" and have lost chickens to raccoon, possum, neighbor dogs and who knows what else. I have implemented some security measures and I am hoping for no more losses to predators. My main reason to join is for buy/sell/trade with other people in or near WV. I also want to learn more....the article about eggs, blush, and washing in water only was an eye opener.

Welcome! Sounds like you have your hands full with predator protection! Where is that article you mentioned

:welcome :frow I think most people who raise poultry loose birds to predators. I have lost birds to coyotes, fox, bobcat and an owl. With each loss I tightened my security with my coops and pens. Heavy duty netting over the top of all of the pens to discourage the owls, concrete under the gates because of a fox, electric wire around the pens and coops for the coyotes, bobcats, possums and anything else that wants to dig or climb, they have to get by the electric first. I haven't lost a bird in a quite long time to a predator. I have game cameras around my property to see what critters are roaming around especially at night. I had my first flock around 50 years ago. I enjoy watching the birds and how they have different personalities. Your state doesn't seem to have any farm type swap meets. I have a couple I started in my community. I love them and a great way to meet people with the same passion. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom