Hi! I'm new

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Equus5O, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got my chicken coop a few days ago. I'm new to the world of chickens! It has room for 8 hens. I think I'll start with four, though.

I have to figure out how big a run we need to construct. I had wanted to let them roam during the day, but realized that the Jack Russell will probably kill the chickens if I do that. Bummer [​IMG]

I still have a lot of research to do. Like ... do you keep food and water just in the coop or just in the yard, or both? And what kind of chickens are best for my area (Warren County, NJ)?

I'm sure I'll be posting often [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] from Ocala, FL. Never been to NJ so I can't help you on what type of chickens but I'm sure someone else can.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] from GA!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] I always say the bigger the better, because I'm always adding new birds anyway. I keep my food and water in the barn. Good luck with whatever you choose. [​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there and welcome!
    Since you have a Jack Russell (love them!) you have an opportunity to predator-proof this coop using him as the guide...consider roofing the run!

Consider him the perfect climber/digger/thinker with chicken meat on his mind...

7. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
  8. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I got my habit started last July.
    I have to keep my girls in a large run because of neighbor dogs, but they don't complain. I have a huge fishing net that covers it so they can't fly out, and eagles stay out! I set their food and water outside, and throw a handfull of grain on the ground. I also set a jug of water in the house.
    I give mine a dust bath of woodstove ashes, and i feed them fine ground egg shells in place of oyster shell for calcium.
    Lots of other members are always helpful on this site.
    I'm sure they'll fill you in on other stuff that I missed!
    Have fun with your new habit...Warning, It's addictive here!
    Krystal

9. inezbouley

inezbouley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] And keep him on a leash when he goes outside!

10. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from PA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by