Hi I'm New!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kiery1105, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Kiery1105

Kiery1105 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2010
    So my neighbor and I are going to get 10 ducklings in the spring. We've (by that I mean I've) done A LOT of research but any tips or things that I should know would be very helpful!!! Also, I don't really want to have our ducklings mailed to us, so does anyone know any breeders on the East Coast between PA and VA? We want quite an assortment of breeds as well. 2 mallards 2 cayugas 1 black swedish 1 welsh harlequinn 1 blue magpie 1 runner and the other two are undecided! We don't want any all white breeds. Any suggestions for that last two? What should our drake to hen ration be? Thank you for your time![​IMG]

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    First of all I'm pretty sure you have to have a permit for mallards ( cause in my state you do ) and sounds like quite a colorful assortment [​IMG]
    I have 1 drake for every 4 hens for good fertility

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi.
    I'm more a chicken person, but I'm sure some of our duck folks will be over to help you and answer your questions soon.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't do DUCKS - - - Just CHICKENS [​IMG]

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from SC...duck person here [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome!

I have ten runners that I bought last spring - I bought them through Meyer Hatchery, and they were mailed from California.

There used to be a runner breeder on Long Island, but I think she is no longer doing that.

There is someone in Massachusetts who sells runner hatching eggs. I have heard references to breeders in Pennsylvania, but don't have any details on that.

My runners are black and chocolate, and I love them! Some of them have "snow" on their shoulders. That showed up after their first molt. They are great ducks.

I have been told minimum three females per drake, sometimes six is better - some drakes are very - er - active.

What kind of shelter arrangement do you have?

7. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

Duck and chicken person here.

Sounds like a lot of variety. Is there one type of duck you are interesting in breeding? You could base your drake on that decision.
    BTW, I have all white ducks and I love them. [​IMG]

In Virginia you can get quite a variety of ducks from Tractor Supply or Southern States. If you just want hatchery quality you might want to look there.

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG]
    Have chickens. no dux. [​IMG]

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] From a strictly duck person usually....But I have recently been hatching a few chickens with my daughter a she wants some for the next show season.

The breeds you mentioned often come up on these pages for discussion. I dont know who here may live close enough to you with those breeds - but you could put up a request in the wanted to buy section of the forum when spring is a little closer.

As for the other two undecided breeds.. What is your intention with the ducks?? Are you after egg layers- something pretty or something else.
    I would suggest two drakes would be a good number to keep with 8 females. Not too many to worry about them giving the girls too much attention- or too few to worry about eggs not being fertile. If you only keep one you may find he will favor certain girls over others- and if something happened to him...you would be needing to find a replacement fast to continue getting fertile eggs.

Hatcheries will vent sex with very high accuracy- but buying from a more local person to avoid shipping- you may not be able to get sexed ducklings - so you should maybe plan for that as well.

10. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'll be breeding runners and blue swedish in the spring. Hopefully. This is my first time with ducks, they are now about 4 months old. I have one Buff, 4 blue swedish and 3 fawn and white runners. So keep me in mind, and ask me again in the spring! [​IMG] Good luck. Oh, I'm in NJ. Where are you?
    Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by