Hi, I'm new...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken_whisperer, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Chicken_whisperer

Chicken_whisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Hi, I'm new to chickens, and I want to say thanks for having such great information!

My Mom and I just started raising Bantams in April when My Aunt bought them for my Birthday! (I can't wait to start showing!)

We bought several books ahead of time so we'd know what we needed... but then we found this site. Wow! The information here is so much more detailed and helpful than the books! It's much better to get several oppinions from experienced people, so I decided to join right away.

We are now so addicted to Chickens, that we are getting 6 more in July (again, from my Crazy Aunt!) But this time, we're getting barred and partridge Rocks!

Mom is ordering me some Polish chicks (My favorite) to be here in august! I have decided that this is what I want to be-- a chicken breeder / own a hatchery!! I'm still going to go to college-- but this will allways be my 1st and best Job!!!

I hope I can be an helpful member and get to know people. [​IMG]

2. Pike's Peeps B&B

Pike's Peeps B&B Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Welcome, welcome, welcome!!! This a great site!!! Its helpful and fun. What other breeds do you have??

Well welcome once again. [​IMG]

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

[​IMG] WOOHOO! welcome to byc! this place is sooo awesome, u get to know people alot, and it almost becomes a second family. u will enjoy all the fun and helpful tips. [​IMG]

4. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    [​IMG] This is an addicting site!

5. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mattake2

Mattake2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    This place is awesome isn't it? If there isn't a post already, everyone is always great to answer questions & share their advice. Glad you're enjoying chickens like all the rest of us!

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hello and welcome to Backyardchickens!

chel

8. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Welcome to the forum.

9. Chicken_whisperer

Chicken_whisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Michigan
    YAY! Replies already! [​IMG] I have lots of black and white silkies, 2 golden seabrights, 3 old english game and a buff brahma. Im getting some polish soon, but I don't know which ones to get, lol! [​IMG] They are all so cool! Are there any particular kinds that do best in show? (THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WELCOMES!)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:welcome to the site . I am from South Louisiana .

We started off with a HEN that showed up from no wheres and was laying under one of our trees out back .

Well hubby decided to go get HER feed at feedstore and Guess what ? You got it , he came home with 5 baby chicks ( 2 weeks old ) well , to make a long story SHORT , we now have 34 chickens total ....... 28 chicks that are NOW 12 to 13 weeks old . He also bought 6 full size hens and 3 are already laying beautiful Golden brown eggs . waiting for them other 3 to lay anyday now . LOL You know the OLE SAYING , SH_ _ or get off the nest ? LOL

WELL , and I will quote hubby , had i known I could buy hens already laying eggs , we would NOT be messing with feeding and watering CHICKS from 2 weeks old to laying age . ( 5 to 6 months ) old before they lay . Geeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NOW I want to get a rooster and have hens hatching eggs and he said NO WAY ... lol

Awwwwwwwwwww but honey !!!! they are so cute .

So , if its only layers you want for having fresh eggs daily , BUY them full grown . LOT LESS trouble . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by