Hi i'm Phil, and I have baby chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flip261, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Flip261

Flip261 New Egg

Aug 1, 2014
    My wife and I just got our first chicks on Tuesday and it is so exciting! Any tips for winter? We are from Michigan and they will be only about 4 or 5 months old by then.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting chicken lovin' folks like us!

1 person likes this.
  2. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG] and for winter, I would say just give plenty of straw and a draft free coop! :)

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Just make sure your coop is well insulated, draft free, and dry. Moisture is more ctiical than cold. Be sure that the coop doesn't have any leaks, no moisture seeping in through the roof or sweating through the walls, and no moisture blowing in through the doorway. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I meant "critical." Sorry about the typo. ;o)

5. vanahjeane

vanahjeane Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    :welcome

Hi there! I got my chicks late too. I live a little further south than you, so my winter plan is a heat lamp in the coop. I heard verticle nipple waterers are better than horizontal for winter months. Deep litter method is also supposed to naturally keep your coop warmer.

6. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Make sure your coop has good ventilation but isnt drafty. If you have a run you can cover the top to help keep the weather out. No real need to heat the coop - chickens put off a lot of heat. The learning center on here has great information :) Best of luck [​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your eaves of the coop to let all the warm moist air from the pooping and the breathing out the roof. If you don't have proper ventilation, this moisture will fall back down on your birds as either water or frost, and chickens are prone to frost bite in these conditions. You want them to stay dry, not wet. Let them roost low to the floor out of all drafts, vents in the roof, seal all cracks in the walls, keep the bedding clean and dry, and they should survive just fine. If you do use a heat lamp on those really cold nights, make sure to attach it permanently to the wall. Never rely on the clamp as it can release and start a fire.

Good luck and enjoy your new babies!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Heat lamps and fires seem synonymous in winter. Please be very careful if you resort to using one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by