1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, I'm Sam!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SamanthaLouise, Mar 16, 2013.

1. SamanthaLouise

SamanthaLouise Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Hey everyone! So I'm new to this site, and am the owner of a medium sized flock of various breeds of gorgeous hens down under in New Zealand.
    My old girls are three light Sussex, a black Orpington, Barnevelder, Dorking and Rhode Island Red. The new additions to my flock include two new Orpingtons - one black and one blue - two silver laced Wyandottes, a black Silkie, Barred Rock and a Houdan.
    The new girls were left in the large coup alone for two many days and the old girls have been pushed down the order. Any suggestions on what I could do to sort this misbalance out? I have been considering getting a rooster to put the bossy girls in their place, but don't want to cause more stress. Any suggestions?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello, SamanthaLouise, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I am not sure on your question. I think the pecking order is what it is and what you call an imbalance is just nature. A rooster (or any new addition) will cause stress but the flock will adjust. He will quickly ascend to the top of the pecking order. I have read that a rooster kind of keeps the order in line so there are fewer squabbles but I am but I have not seen this in practice as I have always had a rooster. There seem to be few squabbles among my 18 hens - and I have a rooster. If he wasn't here I can't say there would or wouldn't be more pecking order battles amongst the gals. A great place to post you question is in the link below. Good luck to you and enjoy your birds!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken society can be cruel, but generally they work things out - welcome to BYC.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. uktrucker40

uktrucker40 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    [​IMG] [​IMG] good bunch here im new to poultry and had nothing but help and encouragement from all.

10. Lorien

Lorien Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by