Hi, introducing myself!

MykaMom

Songster
Apr 19, 2019
Bishop Hill, Illinois
After decades of wanting backyard chickens, in 2008 I ordered 5 barred rock pullets from a local feed store. They were barred rocks, alright, but 4 pullets and 2 cockerels. Yes, their math was wrong but I got a free chick out of it. This was a great introduction to keeping chickens.

Fast forward to 2019 and I have 1 10-year old black lace silver wyandotte and a 4-year old rescue golden comet.

We were in a different feed store yesterday when my daughter surprised me with 7 chicks! They're a mixed flock of 2 olive egger, 1 buff orpington, an australorpe, 1 cinnamon queen, 1 rir, and 1 black laced gold wyandotte. We named them all this morning, lol.

I'm disabled and home 24/7. My kids are grown. I need something to keep me focused while encouraging me to stay active and go outside. I find the soft clucking of foraging hens soothing while uplifting. Plus the eggs are fabulous!

Due to my disability issues, my hobbies have narrowed significantly. I'm trying to build 4 raised bed square-foot gardens this year. I also scrapbook and crochet when my hands cooperate.

I have twins, now aged 29. My daughter lives with me while my son lives an hour away. I am owned by a yellow-naped Amazon parrot named Myka and my son's red and white Siberian Husky, Cinnamon.

I've been aware of BYC for years now but never joined in until now. While I was reading posts regarding bantys mixing with full sized chickens, I saw a post about a dying hen and had to answer.

Dont know how often I will post, but BYC will continue to be a great online resource!

Attachments

• 20190418_175106.jpg
    20190418_175106.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom