Hi, joined looking for answer.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frampton, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Frampton

Frampton In the Brooder

Hi, I have been raising chickens for 5 years now, primarily meat kings up until last year. I decided to try egg layers and started with the brown egg layers. Then a friend gave me 9 chicks ,in the fall, that where a few different breeds that he had and until they grew we didn't know what they were. We had about 15 at the highest point, but a few raccoon attacks have left us with a single hen. We are looking around for some new chicks and are going to go for some heritage birds. But my question is this: A couple of days after the last attack the single hen started laying eggs and brooding them. How long could she possible lay any eggs that might be fertilized? She is currently sitting on 5 eggs and she has kept them warm and only gets up long enough for a quick drink and a bit to eat. I read about candling, but I haven't paid much attention to how long it has really been. I know a long intro, I promise to not be so long winded most of the time.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. Frampton

Frampton In the Brooder

[​IMG]
    Here is Sue. She is the sole survivor. She is sitting on her 5 eggs. I tried to touch her and this was the dirty look I got.

4. Frampton

Frampton In the Brooder

Thank you for the warm welcome, mkk farms. Does anyone know what breed Sue might be?

5. I've heard hens can stay fertile up to 3 weeks For candling just type in the words "pictures for candling" in the advanced search box at the top of the page. Good Luck with the eggs.[​IMG]

6. KPenley

KPenley Songster

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Eggs seem to loose their viability starting at 7 days, but there are definitely many people who have hatched eggs up to 3 weeks old. If your hen is going broody though, she'll stop laying when she gets serious about it. Are Sue's eggs brown?

7. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Its true, after I separated my rooster about 2 weeks later the eggs I was opening, fresh from under the bird, were still fertile. You can tell by how large the dot on the yolk is.

8. Frampton

Frampton In the Brooder

Yes, her eggs are a very light brown, I would say medium to large size.

9. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
  10. Frampton

Frampton In the Brooder

I am hoping that she might have an egg or 2 that might be fertilized to hopefully hatch. I'll try candling in a few more days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: