Hi. Just call me Amma.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amma, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Amma

Amma New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    I feel a little at sea since I am just beginning to learn about what it takes to have chickens. I've never raised them before, have only had two cats (one at a time) and a snapping turtle that lived under the sink when I was little. Now I have a big yard, lots of space, quite a bit of time, and am thinking of getting a few chicks to start with. Contemplating Araucanas as the blue eggs are mesmerizing. Am I biting off more than I can chew? So, I thought I would join this forum, find out what the rest of the community thinks!!

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

3. JulieFS

JulieFS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Freeport, Michigan
    I'm new to them too, but it's so much fun!
    Luckily, my family has had LOTS of chickens and peacocks so i have someone to learn from!
    Good Luck!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I don't think you will find anyone here that will say don't get chickens. They will say get many. [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Chickens are pretty easy to keep. are you worried about something in particular?

Imp

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join. You can learn a lot about chickens on this forum. I'd recommend getting more than one bird, they are not hard to raise but you have to decide whether or not you can have a rooster and how much yard to dedicate to them. You will need a predator proof coop and an adequate and protected run. Good luck.

7. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Welcome from eastern North Carolina![​IMG]

8. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    no, definately not more than you can chew (but depending on your appetite you may get more eggs than you can chew!) This place is a great resource! The search tool is fabulous!

9. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

10. Amma

Amma New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Yippee! A new community! I'm a little nervous because I know nothing but what I've read and what I've learned from those here in the California bay area who are already embarked on chicken-rearing. It seems easy enough, but do I start with chicks, what about the first 8 weeks until they go outside, I know I have raccoons around here, not to mention coop design and creation. It's a lot to contemplate....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by