1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, Kelly here from South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kellybird02, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kellybird02

kellybird02 New Egg

Jan 3, 2012
    South Carolina
    Hi Everyone,

My family and I just got started raising chickens. Some neighbors of ours who have chickens gave us some of their eggs to eat, and that was it - I had to have some chickens! I started reading about them last Fall and the more I read the more hooked I became. I have been lurking around here for the past several months and I love it here - so much info and helpful people!!

My husband built a 7x10 coop and we purchased two 1yo Ameraucana hens (the REAL Ameraucana to my understanding) and two 3yo Welsummer hens. They are now free-ranging during the day (we live in the country) and doing well. Our kids (6yo and 5yo) LOVE checking for eggs several times a day!

We recently hatched some Delaware eggs in a hand-me-down LG incubator and the experience was awesome for all of us! I plan to keep two hens.

We also purchased 6 Dominique chicks from somebody who I guess didn't know much about sexing them. I didn't either so I think we ended up with a handful of roosters. I had asked for 5 pullets and 1 rooster. He sexed them by the COLOR of the spot rather than the SHAPE of the spot. At the time I didn't know any better, but after getting home and researching how to sex them I realized it's not the color that matters but the shape/definition (ARGHH - next time I'll do more research ahead of time). Anyway, I hope a few are pullets but probably not.

Ultimately, in the future, I would like to breed Welsummers. I think they are beautiful.

Well, thanks for letting me ramble. We are having a BLAST and I am getting totally addicted (already talking to hubby about more coops!! LOL!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi & Welcome!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us! :)

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your hatch [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by