hi! more ducks acquired!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wackwack, Sep 16, 2012.

1. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    hi! I had to sell my drake today, he was just too big and um.. frisky any unfortunatly one of my runner duck has died. so he had to go. i think he was the reason my runners havent laid since early spring. my aylesbury has laid an egg a day since christmas! i wanted more ducks having only 2 now but wanted some smaller ones s big pexin/aylesbury drake had to go. hes gone to live with 3 big white ducks though so he'll be happy!
    and of course while i was there i just had to come home with something!!!!!!!
    So I got 4 smaller ducks.. 2 are campbell or campbell crossed with magpie ducks? they look like KC to me though! The other two.. well who knows! He told me 'their breed is the crested breed' but obviously from what i can see any breed of duck can be crested.. (i know its a defect, but dont intend to breed and no longer have a drake!) only one has much of a crest, the second only has 1 or 2 tiny feathers, no visible deformity. But it was their colouring i fell in love with. they are black or green, not sure what the colour is called. The pics arent great because they went a bit mad in the mud puddle when they got here! I'm not sure they have even seen water before.
    I was told they were all about 6 months old but the two black ones have full wing feathers and the KC dont so who knows....! They seem pretty healthy, few feathers missing on one, probably from being kept in large groups, and all 4 have been washing and preening alllllll day long between foraging in the long grass! Any thoughts on breed/colour etc??
    [​IMG]
    thats the crested one....

[​IMG]
    thats the not crested crested one covered in mud! they are looking a lot cleaner and shinier now but its almost dark!

[​IMG]
    in the middle there and at the back hiding are the two 'KC' ducks. as you can see they are all wet.. one got stuck in the paddling pool and couldnt get out, despite it being shallow with a step! poor things never saw water before i think.....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like some if not full Cayuga there, very pretty and sorry about your runner. Congrats on the new ones.

3. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    ya i have been looking at them, the one with the crest seems a heavier duck than the other, but until i get them so good food in their bellies and they grow some more i guess it will be hard to know! they are only here a few hours so trying to stay out of their space and let them settle a bit. i think i saw a very small amount of white on the crested ones chin/upper neck when putting them to bed.. could have been more mud!! they were very good girls and went into bed with little effort.. my older 2 girls are a little miffed and seemed to be waiting for the drake before they went to bed :( they are making plenty faces at the little ones but i think they will be ok... extra food and water bowels in the house tonight too just incase...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by