Hi My husband has been on this site a few times, now I have a few questions. Excuse the lack of cor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HBChicken, Apr 17, 2016.

1. HBChicken

HBChicken New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    West Chester Pa
    First we are brooding our chickens inside the house., Its been two weeks. My eyes are killing me. Red and swollen. Almost like pink eye but I am not sure. Is this common? Am I allergic to them.

Second question, do hens get the red comb on top and the gobbler on the neck or is it only males?

Thank you!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I kick my babies out within the first week before my allergies kick my butt.
    Chicks put out a lot of dust and then dander. So get those babies out of your house! If you have a garage, you can move them there or if you have a coop already, just finish their brooding right in the coop.

Both hens and roosters have combs and wattles. A rooster's will get larger and redden up quicker than a hens and as an adult, will be larger than the hens usually as well.

3. HBChicken

HBChicken New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    West Chester Pa
    Thank you very much. Would you mind answering one more question? When they are full grown and totally outside will I get the red eyes if I hold them? I want the eggs, but I more want them as pets. This is our first try at real chickens. So far I have only decorated the whole house with fake ones. I love chickens!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I'm allergic to birds... inside.

My chickens and ducks outside, not a problem. But I'm also not snuggling up with them either. My chicken will hang with me, but she won't sit with you for long. I have no issues with cleaning their coop or anything adult bird related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by