1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi my name is Dawn

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sunflow584, Jul 2, 2015.

1. sunflow584

sunflow584 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2015
    My husband and I are proud new parents to 15 baby chicks! This is a first time a whole new adventure. So any tips will be helpful. We received our chicks yesterday. We have 4 buff orpingtons, 3 barred rock, 3 golden laced wyandotte, 3 silver laced wyandotte, 1 leghorn and 1 rhode island red. All are hens hopefully! lol We have started them with the chick starter and we are going to try them with chopped boiled egg and yogurt today. Cannot believe how fast I fell in love! But I do have a question about the chick grit do I put that separate or do I mix it?

2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hi I have had my Chicks for 6 weeks , I'll tell you what I know. If they are eatting anything that can not be dissolved in water they need chick grit. So grass, egg , bugs . I only fed mine starter food for a month and nothing else, why do you want to give them yogurt and eggs???
    Also the grit has to always be in a separate feeder so they can eat it as needed not in their food . You can also sprinkle it on the floor for them to peck at .
    Also you should read the fermented feed forums it is a great way to feed chicks and will save you money and the mess of dry feed everywhere!!
    Have fun and check their butts everyday!!!
    Sheila
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/983653/fermented-feed-questions

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC!

I would stick to only starter feed for at least the first week or two. To keep things exciting you can just put a little wet feed in a bowl and they will think it's the best treat ever. No need for grit while they are on starter feed exclusively.

4. sunflow584

Jul 2, 2015
    I have been reading that the boiled egg and yogurt is good for them and I have a couple runty and they say the protein is good for them

5. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Boiled egg and yogurt don't require grit either. Yogurt was messy and it gave mine the runs, but I suppose it depends on the brand. Mix some boiled egg yolk crumbles with the wet feed and they'll go bonkers.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Dawn. Glad you decided to join our flock. Definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there that will keep you from making beginners' mistakes. Also, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html on feeding chickens at different ages. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi, very nice to meet you Dawn - glad you joined the BYC flock. Apart from your "runty ones," I would just feed them the regular starter for at least a couple weeks. Chicks are like kids. Kids prefer the candy and won't eat what is best for them.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. sunflow584

Jul 2, 2015
    Hello this is Dawn updating. I gave them 1/2 a boiled egg mashed mixed with a tsp of yogurt and chick starter and a little water they loved it! And had no problems eating there plain chick food helped clear up some diarrhea and constipation. All happy this morning.! Thank You all for your incite. I am starting to believe everyone has their opinions and ideas, and it is all trial and error. Very hard to find a straight answer anywhere. But all opinions are welcome! Thank You all for the welcome and looking forward to all the great info!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by