Hi! My name is Heather and I just adopted my first flock on Sunday. :)

rooh1

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Good evening everyone,

I just adopted my first small flock on Sunday. They were "stray" chickens in my Mom's neighborhood. They just wandered around homeless for a few months and hung out in Mom's yard. The neighbors dog killed the mother hen and we just couldn't bear the thought of that happening again. I purchased a coop and brought them home. :)
They are adorable and so much fun to watch. I am trying to work with them to try and "tame" them a bit. So far I have discovered that they LOVE mealworms and watermelon. There are 7 in total, 3 roosters and 4 hens, I think. We are going to add to their coop this weekend and give them more space to roam around. So excited!

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
So glad to have you with us!
big_smile.png
A lot of my chickens were strays that wandered from my neighbor's yard, including my very first Easter egger. ^-^

Welcome to BYC
And x2 on drum stick divas info. Re-home some Roos, eat them ( harsh I know ) or they'll fight or even kill each other and be hard on your ladies ( a friend lost a hen to over zealous roosters, and when I had 2 males and not enough girls I was forever breaking up cock fights )
Most of all have fun and enjoy the eggs!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

How nice of you to give these homeless birds a home! Yes, you will need to rehome some or all of these roosters. The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 to 8 to 10 hens. Any less and they can harm or even do enough damage to kill them. Too much over breeding. You might stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors to see if anyone locally will take them. You don't need a rooster for a hen to lay eggs. Scroll through this link to find your state thread.....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Enjoy this new adventure you are on with your birds! Chickens are so much fun to keep. :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. It's always exciting getting your first chickens. Definitely try and make some adjustments toward getting that hen to rooster ratio to 10 to 1 or it will stop being fun down the road. Too many roosters will be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and even potentially, seriously injuring your hens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in altering the hen/rooster ratio in your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Congratulations on giving those birds a home! The amount of roosters is a problem--they will overmate the hens or get aggressive and fight eachother. You can solve that problem by getting rid of some of the roosters, adding more hens (so that there are at least 10 hens per rooster), or keeping the roosters in their own separate area.

Good luck with them! Chickens are wonderful animals to own. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom