hi, my name is Luey...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by luey, Aug 1, 2014.

1. luey

luey Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    and I currently keep 13 chickens of mixed breeds with plans to increase the flock. This is intended as a microbusiness for my kids to help manage. I would live to hear from anyone doing something similar- cheers,Luey

2. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chirping

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Are you planning on selling chicks? Eggs? If eggs, fertile eggs for hatching or eggs for eating? Meat? It would help to know what your plans are regarding the business. For chicks or fertile eggs, a mix of breeds will be fine, although your business will do better if you can sell them by breed, rather than your roosters cross fertilize your hens.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are help.

You should get the buff orpington! They are hardy, affectionate, friendly, curious and great layers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Songster

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC :) I do sell extra eggs on the side - Love my chickens :)

1 person likes this.
  6. luey

luey Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Eggs for eating only at this stage. I only plan to sell by word of mouth to friends etc and from the front of the house. We plan to buy in 24 point of lay Isa Browns in september, and will consider housing these separately to avoid flock stress. They will free-range our 1-acre yard. We have a mango grove plus other spreading trees so plenty of deep leaf litter/protein sources. As the current run is delapidated and pythons/foxes are a big problem, we have a lot of work to do...

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Since you plan is to sell eggs for eating, I was going to suggest excellent layers like Black or Red Sex Links, but you beat me to it. Isa Browns are the labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links and, like all Sex Links, they are laying machines. There is a reason that commercial egg houses use either Sex Links (for brown eggs) or White leghorns (for white eggs) as no other hens can match their rate of lay. Personally, I prefer the Sex Links to the Leghorns as they are more docile birds and will actually outlay the Leghorns in very cold winter areas. Do spend whatever time and money you need to in protecting your flock from predators. You can't make any money when predators are eating your source of income. You might want to check out the Predator Protection for Your Flock section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=predator+protection+for+your+flock. Good luck with your flock.

8. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Songster

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Cheers from Ohio! [​IMG]Glad you could join us! [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have been given some great advice and links from the above posters.

Good luck with all your projects and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: