Hi My name is Megan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lightnight99, Sep 17, 2012.

1. lightnight99

lightnight99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi, Im new here. I just signed up here few minutes.
    When I was little(1989-2000), My dad raised over 3000 chickens, guineas, and ducks. And he also raised peacocks. He used to have white peacocks. but there none anymore. only we have is 2 chickens outside, and several inside the building.
    I lived on farm all my life. It is fun, I love watching the chickens and all the animals.
    I'm hard of hearing, when I was maybe 5 or younger, I didn't have any hearing aids, but I screamed loud at night, where there over 3000 Guineas in the trees, they screamed back even does the peacocks lol.
    I fell in love with animals.

This year March 22nd, My dad bought 5 baby Mallards ducks. They were the best gifts I ever gotten. I raised them, and at 4 months old, they changed the feather colors. I have 2 females, and 3 males. I love them all. I can tell which one my Favorite, Little Guard, Flash, Lazy bum, and Silly bum. Favorite is the only duck that gets close sometime. When I grab him and give him hug, it like he giving hug back to me. It a wonderful experience, I love watching them quacks, swimming, and sleep. I was going to let them go, but since September 16th, one of my females layed the egg. It was the biggest surprise for me. It was weird color, blue egg? I decided I will build or buy a large cage, have little kid pool in there, it not big, but next year summer, I'll buy a bigger pool for them. And I'm excited to breed them. But the thing is I need help with this. I'm new to all this. I know they need water, feed, and a bed. of course Big room. There is another reason why i'm scared to let them lose, I keep hearing those gun shot near, I'm afraid they might shoot my babies. And we have BIG snappy turtles in my ponds.

My dad decided he going to raise peacocks, because we only got one left. The peacock we have left, is same as my age or older. Im 20. I got long way to learn of course. He loves the peacocks, because they scare snakes away lol.

This year, May 25th, My dad had guineas around, only one female, she hatched about 11 babies keets. We still don't know what killed the mother guinea, and few other keets, but I found one brown baby keet, he was running, and he seemed he is lost. And my dad found the white baby keet, she was terrified by the looks, and I think she was injured. They were only 2 days old. I decide to raise them as best as I could. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving on the ground and lost, and starve. Only 2 survived out of 11.
    It funny because I never taught my ducks how to eat, but I did to the keets. I touch the little poultry food, I had to cut it little of course. and I point my finger to my keet, and he eat it off my finger. I named them keets, Brown is Keeto, and White is Daisy. They become my babies. I raised them inside the sun room, where there tons of little bugs crawls, and also it warm. I have heater near them, so they sleep warm. There a tv in the sun room, I sit and watch sometime, let the keets get used to noise and sounds. and when I watch tv, they come to my lay on my shoulder to sleep or inside my shirt, i know it crazy. but I felt like I become their momma lol. But they love get in my hair and sleep there lol. Keeto was more attached to me than Daisy was. Keeto would come to my hand and snuggles in my hands, I blow on him.
    Today I had to kick them out of the sun room, because my mother hates animals. I get too attached to animals. So I had to send them in cage. Which breaks my heart.
    When they are growing older, they become away from me, like afraid of me.
    But I notice Daisy the noise she makes that "pack-rat" And that means she a female :)
    Keeto, I believe he is a boy, im not sure yet.
    Im gonna breed more guineas, because I seriously hate ticks lol. Im terrified of those suckers.
    But it was amazing experience with keets.
    I have videos of my ducks and my keets.

Here is my ducks in July

And here is my keets
    this is 3 days old, after one day that I rescue

And here is when they got older, the more older that got, the more they get attached to me.

Sorry for the long stories. I guess I get that from my dad. He loves to tell stories.

2. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    yea im a guinea lover too !!! ours will be 9 weeks old wed so im about as newbie as they come as far as raising them. but i love them already :)

3. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

4. lightnight99

lightnight99 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    @ jbirds2012
    it amazing to raise guineas :D
    Im from Tennessee. I forgot to add that lol.
    How many you raising? ^-^

@aricisom
    Thanks!

5. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    well, we got 17 right now but by next year im sure that number will at least double. dh don't know it yet. he he :)

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Megan, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us. Best of luck with your ducks and guineas! [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

10. NCGrammie

NCGrammie What's Cluckin'?!

Mar 14, 2012
    Pinnacle, NC
    :welcome Welcome, it's so nice to meet you! I'm from NC myself and this year started raising chickens and well...:jumpy chicken math took over and the addiction began! :lau I hope you enjoy it as much as I do here...I have met many wonderful friends and learned SOOOO much from many of the pros. Jump right on in, you will feel right at home in no time! :caf

P.S. I have 4 Mallards also, aren't they just wonderful!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by