Hi, my name is Melissa. I'm from Robertson NSW Australia :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hendrix, Sep 28, 2010.

1. hendrix

hendrix New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    G'day! I am new to the world of chooks. But i have to say, it's really exciting!! I have only had chickens for the last 3 days, and already they are showing their own little characters LOL I have four Austrolops (sorry if i've mis spelled), im guessing that Austrolops are all black? Anyway, i named my girls - Aretha, Diana, Beyonce and Whitney [​IMG]. Their first day in their new home they already laid four eggs. I'm very proud of my girls x

So, i have a few questions to ask. I hope this is the right place to ask them :Z LOL

I've hung the waterer up off the ground to stop my mess makers from scratching the sugar cane into the water trough. Its lower than the chickens heads but i have'nt seen them drink from it yet. I'm sure they are drinking when i'm not looking but i thought i'd see if i've done something wrong.

Next question, my neighbour has several worm farms. She brought over a hand full of worms today and the girls went berzerk for them! How often can i give the girls worms and how much?

I'm sure that i'll have loads more questions as i go along. Thank you for reading this and i'd appreciate any feedback [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Melissa x

2. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Hi and welcome from northern NSW! Congratulations on your new chooks!
    You'll find heaps of great info here. And lots of people are willing to help with all your questions.
    So getting to the point..
    I keep my feed and water containers up off the ground, at about the height of my smallest hens back, it keeps it from being messed and spilled. So yes, its a good idea.
    I feed my flock worms from the garden every now and then, its best to keep worms as more of a treat than a food source. They probably dont have enough goodies in them to be a staple part of the diet. Plus i really cant be bothered digging up enough worms for my 30+ chooks everyday lol

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Hello and [​IMG]

I am new myself to this forum but I think you will find it is great!![​IMG]

Looking forward to hearing more about your chooks!

5. hendrix

hendrix New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    Thank you for helping [​IMG] My girls are well sorted now xx I have to say though, i read that the austrolorps were family birds but these ones are not LOL I can't even get close enough to touch them :Z We rescued two Isa Browns which are just lovely. They hang around me alot and let me pat them, they had their beaks cut off and look kinda strange but they have really grown on me with their warmer personalities lOL My kids named them Gloria and Karen [​IMG]
    I was thinking of putting a few single nesting boxes about the acre for when they free range away from their coop. Would just a timber box on it's side with sugar cane in it be enough to attract the girls into laying eggs in them?
    I hope all of your chooks and various other animals (yes that means kids too LOL) are well and loving everything x Take care and thanks again - Melissa

6. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] Yeah, my black Austrolorp is my wildest bird too. She screams every time I hold her. But, she is my best forager! [​IMG]

8. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    [​IMG] from Warrens, WI [​IMG]

9. hendrix

hendrix New Egg

Sep 25, 2010
    Nice to meet you all [​IMG] It's taking me a while to figure out this website so sorry for not getting back sooner LOL Everything is going well here on our acre. I only have 6 chickens but only 5 of them are laying. I can't figure out who's not laying, it could be Whitney she looks old or it could be gloria who is very protective of me LOL If who ever it is that's not laying is broody is there any way of telling? I don't see any one chicken staying on the eggs or anything. It's been about a month, maybe longer now. How long do they go without laying if they are broody or is there a chicken that may be at the end of her laying eggs?? I don't know. It does'nt bother me but it would be nice to figure this out. I hope your all well and happy x

10. Little peeper

Little peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Oskaloosa, KS
    Hello and [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by