Hi, My Name is Shelly

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by csnail, Apr 17, 2017.

1. csnail

csnail Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Encinitas, CA
    And I'm new to Backyard Chickens.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I don't yet have chickens, so I am very new. Unless you count the chicks my grandparents got from the local feedstore for my brother and I one Easter, a very long time ago. Two of them turned out to be roosters.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Zero

(3) What breeds do you have? None

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? From my friend and neighbor, Kathy.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I knit, spin yarn and weave. I like travel, and scuba diving. I volunteer with a local aquarium.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I live with my husband and 2 grown sons, who are fairly recent college grads. We have 2 dogs, an Australian Shepherd and a 70lb All American, and one cat.

It's mid April right now, and I know I won't be getting any chickens until at least late July, or possibly later, so I have a bit of time for learning about chickens. Thank you all in advance for your shared experiences and wisdom.

Shelly

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC Shelly. It is nice to meet you [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Shelly, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! You are wise to research now for your July chickens - BYC will prepare you well for the big day. A great place to start is the Learning Center and it's vast array of articles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And you can chat with some of your in-state poultry neighbors in your state thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Shelly [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Shelly and a warm welcome to BYC. You'll find threads on some of your hobbies that you may wish to join.

Best wishes
    CT

6. csnail

csnail Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Encinitas, CA
    Thank you.

Shelly

7. csnail

csnail Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Encinitas, CA
    Thank you for the tips!

Shelly

8. csnail

csnail Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Encinitas, CA
    Thank you! I didn't realize BYC was international. Which, now that I think about it, I could've guessed.

Shelly

9. csnail

csnail Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Encinitas, CA
    Thank you for the heads up regarding the 'other' hobby groups. I'll need to stay disciplined, and stick to the BYC getting started stuff, at least for now.

Shelly

10. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Great to have another poultry lover!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by