Hi, my name is Whitney and I think I have a problem.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pullus mater, Mar 14, 2012.

1. pullus mater

pullus mater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    NC
    So, we started with 8 chicks last year. We lost 2 (one really bad prolapse & another to our dog) and have been happy with the 6 we had left. We get plenty of eggs for our family and some extra to share. Then I got a call from my chicken-keeping neighbor asking me if I lost a chicken because someone in the neighborhood across the street found a skinny, stressed out hen under their car and it had been there for a few days. They finally caught it and brought it to my friend. She was in the middle of something and could not deal with it right then and asked if I could take her. I did, and I am so happy. She integrated well into the flock after only a few days and she is honestly one of my favorites now- she follows me around like a puppy dog! But, the strangest thing happened: suddenly my little flock wasn't good enough. I tasted expansion and craved more. So, I went last night and bought 3 5-week old Easter Eggers (maybe Ameraucana's- that is what the guy said, but I know it is doubtful). I set them up outside- separate from my other girls and figured it wouldn't be too much trouble since I could skip the whole brooder stage. So I headed to the local hardware store to get the new feed, and lo and behold, they had buff orpington & silver-laces wyandotte chicks- two breeds I really want. So, what did I do- did I get one of each? NO. I came home with 3 SLW and 2 BO- for a total of 5 chicks. So, now I have 7 laying hens, 3 young ones outside, and 5 in the brooder (a.k.a the rubbermaid bin). My coop will reach capacity with all these, but I honestly wanted to get more!!!! Why is there no warning label on that first batch of chickens?!?!?

2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I believe that is what they call "chicken math" lol I did the same thing. They're just like potato chips, you can't have just one [​IMG]

3. mong7769

mong7769 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    North Olmsted, Ohio
    I have a feeling that I am in for this sort of experience too! Admitting you have a problem is the first step! But I doubt I will want to fix it [​IMG].

Good luck with your new additions!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Oh my gosh !! And I thought I was the only one [​IMG]

5. fifibreen

fifibreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I wished I could live in the country and have a big hen house! It is soooooooooo hard to only have 5 adorable chickens. It is torture to see all the chicks I want to have at the farm store this time of year. We only go when absolutely have too, since we cannot resit looking at all the chicks.

6. pullus mater

pullus mater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    NC
    LOL- chicken math- yes now I understand that phrase.....like the fact that my coop was really only built for 10, but it *can* hold 15! We've already figured out where to add an extra roost.

We actually do not live way out in the country [​IMG]. We have 1 acre (about 1/3 fenced) in a neighborhood that is kind of in the country. We have covenants prohibiting chickens (or any livestock), but we have no HOA to enforce and neighbors that do not mind- as long as no roosters end up in the mix. Our coop is a re-purposed plywood cabinet that we got free on craigslist. It is strangely shaped for a coop and not very big, but the girls have enough nests and roosting space and have not complained (unless I leave them locked in for 5 minutes past daybreak). I don't know how it will go with the new girls though- we may be building another coop! Thank goodness for 6 foot privacy fences [​IMG].

Tax refund money and spring chicks are a dangerous combination!

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Boy you got that right. I used some of mine to buy a new incubator. And hardware cloth. And 6 new chicks........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by