Hi, NC newbie anticipating arrival of 50 day old chicks next week

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sells, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sells

Sells Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Kernersville, NC
    We are a retired couple living in North Carolina and excited about getting Rhode Island Reds from McMurray Hatchery next week. We plan to begin the chicks in the basement of our house and then move them to a chicken tractor (that is still under construction). Most of these chicks will be raised for meat, but we will keep a few for eggs. We have never raised chickens - trying to plan for all upcoming challenges - would like for any backyard chicken suggestions. Want to feed organic food - any suggestions on how much feed we will need?

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. You sure are going to be kept out of mischief with 50 of the little tinkers! Its difficult to try and estimate feed consumption as it consumption increases on a weekly basis as the chicks grow. Just a case of suck it and see on that one.

I wish you all the best, and do keep us posted on how things go.

All the best
    CT

4. Sells

Sells Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Kernersville, NC
    Thanks! We have been planning for so long -- but now that the day is almost here it's a bit overwhelming. Hope we know what we are getting into. :)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've ordered chicks (including RIRs) from Murray McMurray on a number of occasions and have been happy with their birds and service. :eek:) Definitely check out our Learning Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. MBK Farm

MBK Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    Citrus County, Florida
    Hello and welcome! Enjoy your chickens. [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would be best to separate your layers from the meat birds. Meaties tend to eat almost constantly - their growth is explosive and they are ready to process at a very young age.

If they aren't processed, their organs , legs etc. cannot keep up with them and they die young. You may want to check out the meat bird threads as some people restrict their feed to 12 hours on and 12 hrs. without any - to slow their growth, and /or also free range them so they actually get some exercise and live longer lives.

9. Sells

Sells Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Kernersville, NC
    Oh me! We had not even considered that. Thanks!! When they are about 4 weeks old, We are planning to put them in a chicken tractor and move daily - do you think that will still create a problem if they are all together in a 10' X 10' tractor? Sure don't want these RIRs to get so big that it creates a problem. I'll check out the posts you suggested too.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by