Hi, Need Some Answers!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickdeight, Jan 20, 2012.

1. chickdeight

chickdeight Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    I need some answers about my chick.
    My brother bought a chicken sometime last december 20.
    The chick is doing fine, until recently, his crop is getting bigger so i just removed the food container and just fed him during meal time, usually with the dry corn/pellets sometimes with rice.
    So recently, I see his poo/urine is getting white especially during morning which I think because he's thirsty and don't drink in cup, I just let him drink through a spoon.
    This morning, after I fed him with food, I let him play in my room, since there's sunlight, he's just standing and running around in the room. After that I left him in a box container with an open lid, he's still small to jump over the box.
    When I got home, after 5 I checked up on him, fed him again then let him wonder around. I NOTICED WHEN HE WALKS AFTER SOMETIMES HE'S OUT BALANCED OR SUDDENLY SITS BACK THEN WALKS AGAIN. LIKE SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH HIS LEG. I'M SURE ITS NOT BROKEN..

PLEASE HELP!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    make sure it has water in front of it all the time
    Chicks won't overeat unless food is withheld they may be hungry enough to engorge the crop.
    I always keep starter/grower in front of them 24/7. I also don't feed anything else except a little hard boiled egg yolk until they go out to free range.
    Their little bodies need constant nutrition.

What kind of chick is it? Does it have friends? Chickens need flock mates, they're very social creatures.

3. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, Im getting paranoid of whats happening Im not sure if his
    legs broken or something.
    Honestly, Ivdont know what kind of chick it is, but the chick is pure white until he grows. We have another rooster whos already 2 years and is all color white.
    No, he's alone. My brother only bought one.
    How do you feed your chick with hard boiled egg again? Just the yellow? Any vitamins suggestions?
    I dont know whats happening with his leg....:(((((

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

You should post this in the injuries/illness thread here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Corn is not a very good food for young chicks, it is too high in fat and deficient in nutrients. What kind of pellets are you feeding? Your chick may be vitamin or nurtrient deficient if not on starter or grower feed. These would be in a ground up form, not a pellet. And how old is your chick? More info please [​IMG]

5. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    Hi thanks!
    The corn is not in ground up form more of crushed to make it into smaller bits. S what do you suggest i buy? And what kind of vitamins as well?
    I guess it is 2 months old, since it was bought last month and the chick is already kind of big so more or less 2 months or so..

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Check at your feed store for a chick starter or grower feed. These have the nutrients that young birds need to grow well. No more corn, or rice, until your baby is older. They may also have a vitamin mix that you can add to the water, but you should use this sparingly as it can cause some birds not to drink as well. Keep the feed out at all times, along with water. Good luck, let us know how your chick does.

7. chickdeight

Jan 20, 2012
    Okay, thank you so much!!!!
    Do you have any idea about his leg? Like its out balanced after walking sometime/running. Im hoping its because hes fat or something?
    Anybody else have idEa on this? Thanks!!!!!!!

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Very good advice. [​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC.

I've never had a problem like that before, so I can't really give you much advice. Please have water available at all times. As for his crop, let him digest all his food until his crop is smaller. He does need to eat also.

Good luck

~AnnElise

10. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]

We're happy you're here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by