Hi! New Backyard Chicken keeper!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lolafifi, Dec 14, 2014.

1. lolafifi

lolafifi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Hi there, I'm Barbette, I'm in Miami FL and just started my own flock a few weeks ago. Lola, a golden comet, is only 9 weeks, she was joined by Fifi, a barred rock who is now 15 weeks, they get along great, but they're all they've got! Yesterday we got Iggy, an 8 month old Amerecauna. Yikes, Fifi ran after her with a vengeance!!! I think this introduction will be much harder. I welcome ANY
    AND ALL ADVICE!! Right now, they're separated of course with the first two in their coop and the new one in a cage. I'm letting them out to free range separately too.

New girl jumped our fence yesterday to our neighbor's yard who has 5 dogs!!! she almost killed herself!!! My new challenge is how to keep her from jumping this 6 foot fence!!!

So glad to be a part of this site! Thanks for keeping it going!!!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

It sounds like you have a nice flock! To protect your birds from the dogs, I would advise either building a higher fence or clipping the primary feathers on one wing. Dogs and chickens don't usually mix well.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

X2 on Bantamlover21. Clipping one wing's primary feathers would likely be the best option.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X3 Dogs and chickens do not mix well and the chicken will always lose. So do your best to keep them away from the dogs and visa versa. Build the birds a good sturdy run and free range with supervision only.

As for introducing new birds, always take your time with this to avoid aggression, blood shed and possible death. Keep the new bird or birds in a cage or enclosure within the flock at all times. Coop and run. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Leave them this way for 3 or 4 weeks. Then you can mix them. Watch carefully that first week and always intervene if it turns bloody. Put out extra food and water stations for the new birds as the older flock will want to guard these areas starving them out.

Good luck with your flock and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our roost!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Two Crows and Bantam Lover.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. BantamLover21 and TwoCrows have given you some good advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in protecting your flock.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The best way to keep chickens in your yard or run is to put a cover on it. It will also protect them from raptors.

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lolafifi

lolafifi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    You guys are so supportive - thanks so much for the great advice!!

I guess I'm just surprised I have to deal with dogs at all since they're next door and there's a high fence between us. My other two chickens, although younger (3 1/2 mos and 2 1/2 mos) have rarely attempted to jump the fence at all. Is this just behavior in reaction to a new place, or something that may become commonplace?

thanks all!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by