Hi new chicken-friends!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DaisyFields, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DaisyFields

DaisyFields Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2012
    Branchville, NJ
    My husband will be very pleased that I have found another outlet to talk about chickens...he humors me, but I have a feeling he's getting tired of hearing about my growing chicken flock[​IMG]

We have a small farm in Northern New Jersey, with 3 horses, 2 goats, 4 husky dogs, 3.5 cats, and now chickens! I got 4 red comet pullets at the fair this summer, and 3 of them are now laying beautiful eggs. Then, when I realized how much I loved them, I had to have some more - so added 2 Easter Egger pullets from a neighbor, and 3 that appear to be Cuckoo Marans/Americauna crosses. OK that still wasn't enough, so I adopted 3 hens "past-their-prime" who needed a home to add some color and interest to the flock - they may not lay much anymore, but are beautiful ladies: a Cuckoo Marans, Americauna, and Silver Laced Wyandotte!

So there you have it...I'm at 12 and don't appear to be stopping any time soon. But I'm a total newbie and am eagerly reading all the great posts and looking forward to learning lots! Any tips and guidance are more than welcome, and will definitely be appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    [​IMG] I'm sure you will enjoy yourself here! I'm also a newbie and have learned so much from the friendly folks in this community. It makes me happy to hear that you adopted some "retired" ladies...chickens have value that goes way beyond their egg-laying ability or (yikes!) their meat. Or, that's how I see it, anyway!

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

5. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

6. HeidiKinnamon

HeidiKinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    UTAH
    I definitely understand what it's like to have a humoring husband. I actually just read your post to him and he just smiled without saying anything. I am right there with you. Totally new to this but it is so much fun. I would rather watch my birds than tv any day of the week. and a rooster from who-knows-where just adopted my girls yesterday. He just showed up out of nowhere and acts like he has no intention of going anywhere. He seems very healthy so I am guessing he escaped from his own people but as of yet we cant find who he owns. I promised I would look for his slaves and see if they would come pick him up. but no one has claimed him yet. So I may have another chicken on my hands. I would be thrilled, but my husband is not buying it.

the only thing I am worried about is if he is carrying any diseases dormantly. But he already had contact with my whole flock so there was no way of stopping that. I found him when I came home yesterday. I tried to shoo him away but he wouldn't leave. he followed the girls right into the coop and I made him leave. he perched in a tree next to my driveway and was still there this morning. I may let him stay in the coop tonight. I was so worried he would be eaten last night. Poor handsome boy.

1 person likes this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, DaisyFields, and [​IMG]! Love the user name and avatar!! Best of luck in your poultry endeavors! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by