Hi New from NH

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by flwrldy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. flwrldy

flwrldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    I'm really glad I found backyard chickens. I've helped raise chickens that belonged to other family members, but this is the first time I'm raising my own. Been watching YouTube channels on chickens for a couple years as well, but I'm still a nervous wreck lol. This is Day 2 of having babies. We ordered ( my husband and I) well I ordered lol 1 male and 4 female araucanas, 4 NH Reds female, and 6 female Buff Orpingtons. We ordered through Murray McMurry and I'm thrilled with them. We also received a extra bird, which is a white crested black polish. We named him or her Popover. My avatar photo. I haven't slept much in the past few nights lol. First night I was concerned about the trip they were on, which really I didn't need to be, because they arrived so healthy and full of energy. Last night they did great too, but we added 2 ducklings to the flock and even though they are all getting along great, all are only 3 days old, 4 today, the chicks peeked at the ducklings a bit, but then they were all snuggled together by the end of the night. Some sleep under the lamp some don't. They're all over the place. We have them in a metal watering troough from tractor supply. I think the red light heats the metal so it's warm all over. The temp says 95°. Hope I sleep better tonight lol

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, flwrldy, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Sounds like you're doing a fine job but here are some links that may assist you with your baby chicks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

And about keeping chickens and ducks together:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-keep-different-poultry-types-living-together-in-one-coop

And general articles about ducks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

And you can chat with fellow NH poultry peeps in your state thread here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. flwrldy

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    Thank you sooo, so much! I'll definitely check out those links. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Welcome to BYC!
    I am also in NH
    I would be worried that your brooder may be too warm, make sure they have somewhere to go to get out of the heat, and make sure their water is not under the lamp
    with ducklings make sure you are feeding an all-flock type food, tsc sells one called all flock raiser for the little ones
    and ducks need added niacin to prevent leg issues

Good Luck!
    and if you need anything there are tons of friendly helpful people here!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The ducklings will quickly outgrow the chicks. Also ducklings love to splash and make a mess with water. They are also very talented in painting all sides and maybe ceilings , with poo. Chicks don't like being wet and can get chilled.

1 person likes this.
  6. flwrldy

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    Hello neighbor.. yes they have plenty of space to go away from the lamp and warmer
    side. I'll add a few pics.. Some do, some don't. I also have 2 little cardboard boxes that they get under and they really like that. No their water is on the other side, and so is there food.. I asked the employees at tractor supply and they said the food that I had was good for all of them. So did a couple of customers you had both but I will look into the niacin because I didn't know that. Thank you! [​IMG]
    BTW we have two cats that's why we have the screen over the top .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. flwrldy

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    I can see that already with them outgrowing the chicks.

8. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Ducks also need a higher protein intake ;)
    At this point they prob don't need it 95*, even 85 would be fine

If I were you I would try moving the light away a little bit every day, like 2*/day decrease

And one feathers really start they prob won't need it at all

9. flwrldy

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    Okay! Thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Hello and welcome to BYC! Sounds like you've got quite a crew of chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by