Hi! New here from Virginia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MontanaDolphin, Feb 16, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Hello everyone! My name is Becca, and I just joined the forum today!

My husband and I just bought our first home on 8 1/2 acres in Columbia, VA, which is in the very edge of the northwest corner of Goochland County. The previous owners put a chicken coop on the property. So, naturally, I'm gonna raise some chickens!

We have two wonderful boys, ages 10 and 8, who are absolutely thrilled about living out in the country. We came from the suburbs of Richmond, VA, with a neighbor on either side of us, in a subdivision. So this is brand new to them, and they love it.

I have some questions, since I am a first-timer, but I will post the questions under the appropriate topics.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MontanaDolphin, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! You have come to the right place for chicken knowledge! Have fun and enjoy those chickens!!

3. MontanaDolphin

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Thank you, redsox! I notice from your avatar that you are a chocolate lab lover! We too have a chocolate lab, her name is Kalli. She's 3 1/2 years old. The dog in the pic of my avatar is Shelby. We lost her the week before we moved into our new home. Kalli is still missing her terribly, and lays near Shelby's grave every day! I never realized how emotional labs could get!

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome! I've already posted my first set of questions in the coop section :)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Becca, and welcome to BYC. Congratulations on your new home and your plans to start raising poultry. Good luck.

5. MontanaDolphin

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Thank you sourland! I'm nervous about it...the only animals I have ever raised are the average dog, cats, fish, and reptiles...oh, and a few praying mantids over the years :) . I've got a lot of questions, but I'm waiting until I get my coop questions answered before I post anymore!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

If you get your setup right, chickens are actually quite easy - and rewarding - to keep

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by