Hi new here & thinking I might have to leave already :(

chickypeep

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2011
frow.gif
Hi everyone new here I'm from upstate NY and thought I should post my intro here finally lol. I'm a mom of 3 human girls age 6 1/2yrs old, 2yrs old, and 5 months old, 1 fur baby a female Bengal cat, and lots of fish lol. When I found out we would be buying a house in a rural area I had thought about maybe chickens some day in my back yard as pets plus there's the eggs you get for breakfast as a bonus. So for the last I want to say week I've been looking at breeds, chicken coops and reading up on what I can so next spring we can put in a coop and some chickens.

Then comes the disappointment....so I was told by my realtor she talked to someone and she thought I might be allowed to have chickens and that she knew people who have them. When I looked up the laws they said the same thing she said which was vague & mentioning something about 3 acres and 25 chickens per acre being allowed, but when I called for clarifcations I was told flat out NO
barnie.gif
! That I needed to have a meeting etc to discuss it. The majority of the details are in my last post on here and pretty sure we're not supposed to copy & post the same exact thing on this site more than once so just gonna link it here for those who want to comment on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=511956

ETA-my
kids ages
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome!
smile.png
Yeah, I hope to stay here too! I'm so sad
sad.png
to be told no, after I started getting so excited by the idea of having some back yard chickens!

I would secretly keep some
wink.png
Seramas are pretty easy to keep without being detected
smile.png
lol.png

If I moved and wasn't allowed to have my birdies...um well... I'd have to break the law
hide.gif

I went back and read through your other post.

I think you should come up with your plan and present it to the board. Five hens does not create much noise or smell on 1 acre. The law allows for a horse or cow with 1 acre, but not a few chickens? That's just silly. Maybe they're concerned about roosters making noise so get permission from the board to keep hens as pets. From what I read in the law and what you were told on the phone I think you have a case to request permission, you should go for it! It's so much fun for the whole family and frankly a few hens creates WAY less nuisance in a neighborhood than a lot of other animals that are already permitted in your area.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

I say you stay no matter what. BYC has something for everyone. Plus, those harboring illegal's can help ya out. LOL oops.........sorry that sounds like I'm contributing.

Actually I think it you show them plans and make sure you have a way to dispose of waste (can 5 birds cause waste? I think that's called fertilzer) but there should be no reason you can't keep hens. I say if you have to keep the neighbors happy, you buy guienas and peacocks. When they complain about the noise you can tell them you would rather just have some chickens.

Sounds like someone is giving you wrong information. Laws on the books are what matters, not what someone's opinion is or what they say. If the written law allows for chickens where you are and your subdivision covenants don't contradict (they overrule any county law), then you can probably have them. Always ask to see it in writing. Take no one's word for anything.

Back
Top Bottom