Hi, new here, winter questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by avenel, Dec 7, 2010.

1. avenel

avenel New Egg

Nov 26, 2010
    Hi,
    I live in a wintery area. The sun comes up around 7-8 am and it is dark by 5 pm. I have a lamp on until 9:30 ish. I have a hen that has gone broody. She has been for about 3 weeks. I did not let her sit any eggs due to weather and fear the others would cannabilize the chicks since they are spending so much time in the hen house.
    Here are my questions. Will she come off being broody on her own? If not and I let her sit a couple of eggs, do you thing the others will kill the chicks?
    Thank you all for your help
    Diane
    Chiloquin, Or

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Some hens give up quickly, others NEVER seem to give up. While many folks successfully allow their hens to hatch chicks in the main coop with other chickens, it's a little riskier for a few reasons. The other chickens may be aggressive to them, broody hen may get intimidated or distracted and stop taking care of them, etc. If you really want chicks now (winter in OR?...ummm) it would probably be best to isolate your broody in a separate area of the coop. My personal opinion is that a broody hen will be more dedicated in the spring, the chicks will fare better in baby-appropriate weather, and there will be less potential heartache for you and it's a lot more fun to watch the mama/chick show when they can be outside in the sunshine and pecking at bright green sprouts of things, etc.

ETA: there are strategies for breaking up a broody hen, do a search here, involve a wire cage, air underneath the hen, etc. The other thing I was going to suggest is that you have the light come on in the morning, rather than on later into the evening for a couple of reasons. The chickens will come in more readily when it is getting dark outside AND inside the coop (which is safer for them, as predators start coming around at dusk) and the light suddenly going off and the coop becoming suddenly dark can disorient them a little and stress them out sometimes. However, the light coming on suddenly in the am doesn't seem to be such an issue. Just my experience... may not be a problem for you at all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:Yes she will. Just remove or cover up the nest so that she cant go broody in it and she will quit broody.

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG]

I had a hen last winter that just would not give up on wanting to be broody. I never did give her eggs, nor did I try to break her of it. I did make sure she had food & water handy... and I gave her some extra handsful of calf manna to up her nutrient intake. I decided that she maybe just liked being snuggled in all warm! Anyway, after almost a month, she just decided she'd had enough and gave it up.

I think I would tend to agree with the post that suggested not letting her hatch in the winter...for all the reasons mentioned there. It's up to you, of course, and I'm sure there are people who do it and it's all just fine. I just don't like to take any extra chances. I hate losing chickies.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

6. avenel

avenel New Egg

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks guys, You basically just affirmed what I was thinking and that is great!
    I think I will give her another week and then start trying to get her to give it up. She is hogging one of the nesting boxes and the other hens are getting pissy about it. LOL
    I will wait until spring for babies.
    Thanks again.

7. cherry8080

cherry8080 New Egg

Dec 8, 2010
    a good wife can help you !

8. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    i had a bantam cochin that insisted she was going to be a mom.. i how ever am the boss & said NO BABIES!! she would be in the box & i would come out every day & chunk her butt off the eggs the others layed & the next day , yep there she was again . about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks later she got the point & she hasnt been back in there .. so i guess the best thing if you dont want her on any eggs is to remove her every chance you get .. good luck & [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by