Hi, new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greenrootsmama, Feb 15, 2009.

1. greenrootsmama

greenrootsmama New Egg

Feb 15, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hello, my name is Katie. I had chickens when I was a kid and just started raising them last September. We bought Cornish Cross and Black Australorps. Our experience was that the Australorps were a hardier bird in that we didn't lose a single one as a peep. Unfortunately, we lost about four of our Cornish Cross before we even had a chance to let them outside. We free-ranged them from about 8 - 10 weeks, give or take. Over the next few months we lost several more chickens to midnight prowlers and a terminally ill chicken-eating dog we inherited. Then we learned that our landlord filed bankruptcy and so our home will be auctioned off in April. So we decided it was time to wrap up our chicken adventures. We sold what was left of our Australorps and ate the remaining Cornish Crosses.

Out of this we have learned that free-ranging is going to have to be restricted. While I realize that there will be a certain margin of mortality, I feel that they would have fared much better had they been more protected. Also, the Cornish Crosses seemed to be easy targets because they are white and very easy to spot whereas the Australorps were more difficult to find because they blended well with the shadows.

We have taken this opportunity to move across the country to a warmer climate and start over. We will not be free ranging again but can't wait to get back into it. We dearly miss our girls.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    welcome. glad to have you here.[​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] from Ohio!

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome from IN!

6. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

8. greenrootsmama

greenrootsmama New Egg

Feb 15, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks! Just reading through some of the threads is very informative. I can't wait to roll up my sleeves and dig in.

9. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Hello from 40min. down the road!

10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by