1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi! New Member from Arizona

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Azahara, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Azahara

Azahara New Egg

Oct 31, 2011
    Hi everyone! I am a "chicken-a-holic" from Arizona..

Currently I breed/ Raise a variety of chickens on my family farm in New River.

I started out with the common egg layers/ meat chickens..and have been working my way toward the more rare breeds. My favorites are bantam bantam breeds because they are just so darn cute! I am very partial to the Mille Fleur D'uccle, Lakenvelders, Silkies, and Red Jungle Fowl (don't tell the other chickens I have favorites [​IMG]).

I am in the process of thinning the heard so I can focus my attention on my favorite chicken breeds. Right now I breed White Austra (hybrid White Leghorn x Black Australorp), Buff Barred Rocks, Partridge Barred Rocks, and Hybrids of the above. They are all great egg layers/ dual purpose chickens. But like I said, I just LOVE bantams. I will be showing my first pair of bantam Salmon Faverolles next year, and I am super excited to see how they do [​IMG]

2. BurdBrain

BurdBrain Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Quote:Welcome, fellow Arizonan! [​IMG] Feel free to browse around the many helpful topics. You'll learn something new every day!

Wow, that's quite a flock you have there. I envy the diversity. [​IMG] Tell me - where in the world did you get the Lakenvelders and D'Uccle? I have been feverishly searching for several bantam breeds in AZ. It seems like there are no poultry breeders out here, or at least none that are ever selling any birds. [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG] from a fellow Arizonian!

7. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
  8. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    [​IMG] from South Carolina..

9. Azahara

Azahara New Egg

Oct 31, 2011
    Quote:Welcome, fellow Arizonan! [​IMG] Feel free to browse around the many helpful topics. You'll learn something new every day!

Wow, that's quite a flock you have there. I envy the diversity. [​IMG] Tell me - where in the world did you get the Lakenvelders and D'Uccle? I have been feverishly searching for several bantam breeds in AZ. It seems like there are no poultry breeders out here, or at least none that are ever selling any birds. [​IMG]

I had to order the Lakenvelders from a breeder in Iowa, I have seen a few at poultry shows, but never for sale [​IMG] They are hard to breed because they have a habit of not sitting--not a problem if you have an incubator handy, but not so good for hobby breeders that want to focus on the breed without a surrogate hen or incubator.. Mine aren't of breeding age yet. sO I don't have to do much work with them lol.

As for Mille Fleurs, there are a few people in Mesa that breed black molted, self blues, and a few other varieties. Can't remember their contact info..I found them on Craigslist. But I would just check out local poultry shows (by local I mean state wide) many people come to the Arizona shows from surrounding states and bring with them a variety of birds..some are for sale on the spot, some you may have to get shipped to you, but shows are a great way to network.. Or you could order them from a hatchery if you are not particular on quality of the birds--this is a great way to get started, and hatchery birds aren't all garbage. I had a bantam from McMurry hatchery that gave to my neighbors son, and it won best of breed at the state fair! So there are plenty of options. Its Just that you have to consider what is more economical for you lol. Especially when it comes to rare breeds.. their are simply NO rare breeders in Arizona that openly advertise (As you have noticed [​IMG] ).. one day I hope to change that..and Our family has 16 acres to do it [​IMG]

10. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by