Hi New Member from Summerville, SC with a chicken coop from COSTCO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aga7027, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Aga7027

Aga7027 New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    HELP, I have been wanting to raise Chickens in our backyard for several years. It has actually become a family joke. 2 Weeks ago my hubbie and were shopping at the Augusta GA COSTCO and saw a Chicken coop for sale that met all my requirements. We purchased it yesterday and have not put it together. Hubbie is going to give it a coat of weather sealer.

Now I need to find some pullets for it. Not sure where to start looking. Husband does not want to raise chicks as it will be cold soon.

Need suggested sources and what type of chicken will give a normal size egg. We are looking at getting 2 chickens.

I am one of the FURLOUGHED Government Employees so I thought this would be a great thing to do with all my free time. We have been eating locally sourced food now for two years. My husband just harvested his first honey.

To think that this city girl is trying her hand at being a backyard farmer. We have been raising our own veggies for years but have just branched out to the animals. We are empty nesters as our youngest went off to college this year..

I understand that raising chickens is really not cost effective, but I sure do enjoy fresh organic eggs. Now what kind of food do I feed them and what else do I need to raise them with.

Thanks for the help and support

ML Mother of three young adults

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken breeds that I suggest are:

Red Sex Links ( they lay extra large eggs though I'm not sure if you want that).
    Australorps
    Wyandottes
    Easter Eggers
    Andalusian
    Leghorn
    Buff Orpingtons ( they tend to be broody so their laying is about 2-4 eggs a week).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! as the above poster said the Learning Center would be a good place to start. For discussions on feed visit the Feeding & Watering Your Flock forum section. Enjoy your chicken adventures!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    My production reds lay a large brown egg every day with a skipped day maybe every 2 weeks or so. Both of them have good temperaments tho I've heard some people say they've had mean girls. They forage and free-range very well also. I have them in a mixed mutt flock with some EE mixes.

Welcome to BYC!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I have that same coop and it is very small, your chickens would definitely need to be allowed some time outside of the coop or an additional run built to attach just my opinion :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by