HI- New Member in Pasadena, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rosalinda-84, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rosalinda-84

Rosalinda-84 In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    Hello, I am a new member, sorta forced to join out of a desperate need to find a safe home for a Bantam rooster. My daughter adopted chicks and two months later one happens to be a rooster. So far he is kept indoors because my husband and son are currently working on the chicken coop. But the reality is that here in Pasadena roosters are not allowed beyond 4 months (thats if I read the code correctly). Any ideas on how to gaurantee this rooster is adopted to a safe home? His name is Lysander and he is two months old.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Welcome to you and your family [​IMG] Sadly, there are no guarantees unless you know the people who adopt your bird. I did have to rehome a rooster, and feel pretty secure about his placement, but there's no way of really knowing. You can advertise on CL or some other venue...you can plead that you want him to be in a good home, not eaten. But that's the best you can do. I don't mean to sound cruel, that's just the reality of it when it comes to roosters, when most people want hens/pullets. I hope you're able to find a good placement for the little guy! And do know that his life wasn't for nothing even if he is eaten, he is nourishing a family. Try to think of it that way if it comes to that...

4. nicoledc109

nicoledc109 Hatching

Jul 20, 2010
  5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Hello from SC!

6. Rosalinda-84

Rosalinda-84 In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    So, I called "Animal Control" in my area to inquire about the rules for a rooster. They noted that I am actually in an unicorporated area in Los Angeles County where I can have a rooster unless he becomes a nuisance to my neighbors. So what is the decibals of a crowing Bantam rooster? [​IMG]

7. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:[​IMG] from SW Indiana!

and im not sure about the decibals, but i used to have a few bantam roos
    they have a high pitched crow and they like to crow. alot. yet again, i had Japanese Bantams

8. I hope you can keep him. Roosters are good in flocks. Some roosters are crowers and some are not so bad. Hopefully you can wait and see how your little guy turns out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by