Hi! :-) new member.. need advice!

duckmama5308

Hatching
Dec 4, 2015
Hi, i have been raising a duck for almost eight years now, and she is laying eggs.. usually about once every 24 hours. The past two days she hasnt laid any, and about an hour ago a really weird one came out. And i mean WEIRD. The outside is rough and sandpapery, and there a string like thing connecting it to a smaller, half developed "egg". It is about a 1/3 of the size of the normal eggs, and half of it is shell, and the other half is a film-like material, like it also hasnt developed yet.. i have never seen this before, what could it be?! And also, both parts of the egg have a thinner than normal shell.
Any suggestions/ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Sometimes they just lay a funky egg, it's a complex system that works correctly most times. I know being knocked around can affect laying, like a bad landing, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Okay, thank you so much. As long as shes okay <3
. She actually doesnt fly, theres something wrong with her wings, they have been that way since she was a baby. They both stick up

Okay, thank you so much. As long as shes okay <3 . She actually doesnt fly, theres something wrong with her wings, they have been that way since she was a baby. They both stick up
Looks similar to angel wing in where the wings stick out like a hitch hikers thumb. How old is your duck how long has she been laying. I have found some strange looking eggs from my girls at times too. Hopefully your girl just laid a fluke, make sure she is eating a good wholesome diet and getting calcium along with it, Oyster shell at least.

AND Welcome to BYC!! @duckmama5308

Last edited:
She will be 8 on 5/3/2016, and she has been laying for the last 5-6 years. This is the first time i have ever seen an egg like that, all the rest were normal for the most part. Maybe one that was bigger or longer, but that was it. I get her food from agway, its an all-grain pellet for adult ducks, chickens, etc. Either the layer or maintainer. I actually have never even heard of oyster shell.. where do you get it?

She will be 8 on 5/3/2016, and she has been laying for the last 5-6 years. This is the first time i have ever seen an egg like that, all the rest were normal for the most part. Maybe one that was bigger or longer, but that was it. I get her food from agway, its an all-grain pellet for adult ducks, chickens, etc. Either the layer or maintainer. I actually have never even heard of oyster shell.. where do you get it?

So she is getting up there in age I have a drake who will be 12 next march and a duck who will be 9 next march so they are entitled to lay some strange looking eggs. lol She could be starting into duck menopause, My 3 oldest girls who passed away would only just every once in a while and they could be some strange ones. So I'd say if she is acting normal eating well and not laying around in distress we can just chalk it up to age. Oyster shell is usually sold where you get your feed it is crushed oyster shells and it helps our poultry keep a good amount of calcium in their bodies for egg shell strength and it won't come from their bones. it isn't expensive, just put some out in a bowl separate from their feed and they will use it as needed. At the age she is she probably does need the extra. Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom