hi!! new member with Chicken beak problem....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Skyee, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Skyee

Skyee New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    hi! [​IMG] im Skye, from Victoria.

my dad found my chicken at his work in Melbourne one day and decided it would be safer for her to come live with us on our farm.
    shes been with us for about 2 years now, and ive just noticed the sides of her beak are little over the bottom part.

i was just wondering if there was any way of trimming it?? or is the best way to just take her to the vet??

thank you [​IMG]

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

If she is eating and drinking ok...I would probably leave her alone. But with crossbeaks it often helps the chicken eat easier to trim them a bit. Not sure exactly what you mean by your description.

Beaks will bleed if you trim off too much. They are kind of like dogs toenails....if you cut into the nail quick they bleed. Filing might be safer....but like I said I would probably leave it alone unless it is causing her problems.

[​IMG]

3. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG]

4. Skyee

Skyee New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    okay thank you [​IMG]

she is eating fine, it just looks different. her top beak is like a square instead of the usual point.....sorry, she is my first chicken!

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    It could be that she broke off the tip?? Or does it look like it has been cut off?? In egg factories they sometimes cut off the beaks, so chickens don't peck each other.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Skyee and [​IMG]. Not sure of the the answer to your beak problem but I'm sure someone on BYC does! Good luck. [​IMG]

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I have never heard of "trimming" a beak, but you came to the right place to find the answer.

[​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

I'm glad your chicken is eating and drinking fine with the skewed beak. It is so tough taking care of these little gals, they are like our little kids. I'm glad you did not have to trim the beak.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by