Hi! New members from Northern California just checkin' in

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WalnutAcres, Mar 11, 2015.

1. WalnutAcres

WalnutAcres New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    We are a Christian homeschooling family who started chickens in 2012 when our daughter was four. We began our flock as chicks, from a local feed store, with some Welsummers, blue-laced red Wyandottes, and silver-laced Wyandottes, We didn't keep any roosters, although the Welsummer was so very handsome that it was hard to take your eyes off of him! Our Welsummer hens are lovely girls and lay a nice medium brown egg. Our blue-laced red Wyandottes became broody after a year and so we found a new home for them, where they were wanted for eating insects and not laying eggs. Our silver-laced Wyandotte had been the leader of the flock until we introduced a young rooster, of mixed breed, to the hens just this year (2015). A friend culled him from her immense flock. He is about six months old and has some Rhode Island Red in him. Along the way, too, we got three Easter Eggers, as chicks in 2013, for their blue-tinted eggs, of course! (My husband insists that those eggs are white....) So, our flock consists of 3 Welsummers, 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Wyandotte, and 1 rooster. This spring (2015) we have purchased four Barred Rock chicks. All told, we now have a dozen chickens, which seems apropos.

Late that first year of chicken-keeping, my husband built a coop to protect our chickens. We had been keeping them in a corral but were very concerned about raccoons getting to them, though each night we would barricade them in a "roosting pen" that I built and placed in the corral. We also have foxes, opossum and an occasional bobcat in the area. (In fact, a fox did kill our turkey chicks, reaching through a dog kennel for them, and we haven't tried turkeys again.) We are so happy with our coop! Though I purchased some nice, simple plans online, my husband decided to design the coop himself. He salvaged siding and roofing from a house that was being demolished just across the street. Nevertheless, it was an expensive project, with its poured concrete floor and 2x4 framing. He built in a storage loft, where we keep chick feeders and such. We really like that we can walk inside without stooping and we like to be able to collect the eggs from outside without having to walk into the coop. He attached a small run that is fully enclosed with wire like an aviary. Our great joy was the day the automatic door was installed so that the hens could get out of the aviary to free range in our fruit tree orchard! We immediately saw a difference in egg yolk color; now the yolks are darker orange.

I find the Welsummers the most lovely to look at. My daughter is partial to the Easter Eggers. She has spent many hours contentedly observing our chickens. And store-bought eggs are simply tasteless now. This has been a very worthwhile addition to our farm. [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you decided to join us. So sorry about your past losses. Wishing you luck with the future and your coop improvements to prevent further losses.

I would make sure the wire on the new construction is predator proof.

Feel free to post questions. Enjoy the forums.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

Nice introduction! Sounds like you have a wonderful variety of birds.[​IMG]

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, sounds like you have a great setup for your birds. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by