Hi! New on the broody subject

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by miranchito, Jun 2, 2016.

1. miranchito

miranchito New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    Hello everyone... I've been coming to the backyard chickens website for so many of my questions, but I'm a little stuck on my current challenge. one of my buff orpington girls has gone broody, and i collected the eggs from my other girls today, but being how one is broody, I've been candling my eggs. well i forgot today and went ahead and rinsed the ones i collected, then candled [​IMG] . . so my question is could i put the fertilized eggs under my broody hen even though i rinsed off the bloom?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

First of all, you would probably get more answers if you posted this in the Incubating & Hatching Eggs forum ( please click on the link).

That said, you might not want to use those eggs to hatch. Chances are most of them will be ok, but for a better hatching rate you might want to collect different eggs and just eat these. Hope all works out for you!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Remember too, a broody(depending on size and determination) can only cover so many eggs. Also if you plan to add more - put them under her at the same time, so hatch dates will be the same. If you add some now and a couple a week later etc. you will have staggered hatch. Often a broody hatching a few chicks will leave with them and ignore any other eggs. If so you would have to finish those in an incubator.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with the sentiments of the TKFG and DD. I would also add that i usually wait until a broody hen has spent at least 2 nights on the night (as opposed to roosting with the flock) before setting eggs.

All the best
    CT

5. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Hello and welcome. I always mark my broody eggs then remove any unmarked ones every day, if she is in the general population and sharing a nest box. Also when it get to about day 18 you will want a way to block out any other birds, otherwise you run the risk of having babies crushed during hatch. There is a broody forum. If you search it, it will come up. Good luck!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by