Hi! New to BYC...any other pond lovers?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Great Ayam, Nov 16, 2015.

1. The Great Ayam

The Great Ayam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2015
    Well, where to start? Just a little bit to introduce myself...my wife and I and our 3 amazing children (daughter and 2 boys) live on a small farm in rural Ohio. We have about 3 acres...not quite as much land as we originally wanted but enough to have some animals and a LOT of fun.

I learned about this site from my wife and daughter. We have had a flock of chickens and a few ducks altogether for about a year. We started with 5 chicks and it slowly (but steadily) grew to where we are now. I believe we have around 40 birds in total (29 chickens and 9 ducks).

So, we are fairly new to the back yard flock experience...we have a lot to learn, but we have learned quite a bit already...and we are always learning more.

Although I do enjoy the birds, I admit it is my wife and especially my daughter who REALLY spend all the time with them. In fact, from this website they have learned a new expression and willingly embrace the fact that they both have caught the quite contagious "chicken math." [​IMG] In fact, if I didn't try to bring some restraint, this husband and daddy is not quite sure just how MANY birds we'd end up with![​IMG] (my poor bank account!) [​IMG]

However, although I say that, it makes me happy seeing the joy that our flock brings them. And, farm life--though a lot of work--is fun...and what kid (or kid at heart) doesn't love having his or her very own petting zoo! So, who knows...maybe next it'll be a goat or two.

I personally joined BYC because I'm hoping to learn from all those who have small farm ponds. I love ponds. I've always wanted to have one, but I have a LOT to learn about adding one to your property and then maintaining it. I look forward to all the advice. Thanks in advance!

1 person likes this.
  2. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    The Great Ayam, I'm so glad you've finally joined us on BYC! And I guess it's a good thing to have some "chicken brakes" around the farm, though I know it must be exasperating at times to be the sole voice of reason...haha! Goats would be nice. When you get a chance, I hope you'll share some of your pond pics. Enjoy your time on BYC. I'm sure you'll meet lots of WONDERFUL people who will help you with any challenges you may face.

3. KikiM

KikiM Out Of The Brooder

Welcome, I'm new too, and i have been finding allot of awesome information and great tips on this site, i am so glad i found it! I would love a goat too but i am taking small steps and with research there is allot involved with goats. I can't wait to hear all of your stories I am hoping to learn from everyone and see how other started out and how they are progressing. Happy Farming [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for joining us, Ayam! [​IMG] If it weren't for you, @TBirdsTheWord33 and I wouldn't stop getting more and more chickens to the point of becoming poor paupers. [​IMG] You're so right, chicken math is not only extremely addictive but also quite dangerous.

-Alex

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I love ponds. I had a small fish pond back at our home in Hawaii, and will probably put in a pond at some point here on our new farm in Montana. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. That dreaded chicken math. :D

8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

I love ponds!! We dont have one but we have a stream!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by