1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi! New to chickens and ducks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alstx0429, Oct 30, 2016.

1. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

Hello everyone! I'm a new poster though I've been lurking and reading everyone's posts for several months when I decided I was taking the plunge to get chickens and ducks.

I got my chicks at a couple weeks old around mid-August and I love them! I have 6 girls and they are so entertaining and sweet. I made sure to hold them and visit with them as much as possible. They still peep but are starting to cluck, I can't believe they are practically grown! Sniff.. I've relied heavily on this site for info along with a book from the Fresh Eggs Daily lady (can't remember her name at the moment).

Now to my duckies..I love them too! They are equally as entertaining though not as into being loved on. lol I got them at 3 days old from Metzer Farms. Their little peeps arrived in my life on Sept. 1st. I have 2 WH's, 2 Rouen's, a Black Swedish and a Blue Swedish. Not sure what their sex is, I thought I ended up with 3 and 3 but now I'm not sure! I love them all anyway!

I'm a career girl who has slowly evolved into a first time farmer. It's a nice break after a day of corporate life. My commute to work is just over an hour each way but I love, love, love coming home to my little farm that also includes 3 dogs and 2 cats! They all take up quite a bit of my time but I don't mind. I do try to remember to be social on occasion so my friends don't think I've become a hermit.

Other than my animals, i'm a big nerd who likes Star Wars, Dr. Who and super heroes. :)

Let me see if I can add a few pics of my babies. Any guesses on the sex of the ducks would be welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Now let me see if I can post all these links I want to give you before somebody beats me to it. :lol: I loved your intro! If you are new to raising poultry, a great spot to read up on them is the Learning Center, you can find about anything you need to know there.https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. Also, the duck page is a great spot to ask all your quacker questions, and chat with ducky folks,https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks. You can post pictures of your ducks on this page for gender questions, and here is all I know about sexing ducks: females are louder then drakes, and drakes tail feathers get a curl in them when they reach sexual maturity, which it looks like yours have. Here is the What Breed or gender is this? Page.https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this. And last, but not least, if you ever want to chat with folks in your area, you can find your state thread in this link, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you. Alright, there ya go! That should keep you busy for a while! Enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community. CuzChickens provided you with great links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

4. alstx0429

alstx0429 Just Hatched

Thank you so much for the info! I'm always nervous posting on things like this because I don't want to take a wrong turn, so to speak. lol I will post my duck question in the duck forum. I'm just curious as they are all engrained on my heart so they would never be going anywhere!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a great intro! I have really enjoyed reading all about you and your birds. Your pics are great :D I'm not a duck person but I'm sure the keepers in the duck section will be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! Nice flock! You have been given some great links and advice so I will just say enjoy BYC and best wishes! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I would suggest you make sure the drakes are not wandering around with chicken hens. Duck anatomy is quite different than chickens. Male can and often will try to breed chicken hens - causing either great damage or death to the chicken. If drakes have enough duck hens to suit them this may not occur. But I would still be careful with them.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by