1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi: New to forum please help! Hen gasping for air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sabrig15, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sabrig15

sabrig15 New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    I gave my hen lemon juice straight from the lemon, to help with her cold, and I think a seed is obstructing her airway. She is now gasping for air and cannot eat or drink. Any sugestions on what I should do before she stops breathing? [​IMG] Thanks

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Crud. Sending the very best of wishes that she has been able to clear the airway by now. Poor thing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How does one give the Heimlich maneuver to a chicken? Don't mean this literally, but unless one handles this type of situation very carefully, attempts at dislodging could make things worse.
    Also, pure lemon juice is impossibly tart and could be having an impact and as far as I know, not a remedy for what was ailing her. I am wondering if a little water could help - you'd have to dropper it in ever so gently along her beak line, but if she's frantically choking, it's not a good time for that.
    JJ

3. RocknChickn

RocknChickn New Egg

Apr 13, 2009
    I've heard lemon juice breaks down things.. .like if you have a fish bone in your throat that's too far down to reach, you can use lemon juice to break it down.. so although it's tart.. I think it was a good idea. I wonder if chickens taste tartness?

I can't imagine what else you could do to help her. Hopefully it'll clear itself in time? [​IMG]

4. RocknChickn

RocknChickn New Egg

Apr 13, 2009
    Are you sure there is a blockage, or could she just be panting cuz' it's hot? Sorry if that's a stupid question, just wondered.

5. sabrig15

sabrig15 New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks for your reply. Maybe the water with eye droper may help it go down, I will try that. I guess I went the lemon route because it was something my grandma used to do...

6. sabrig15

sabrig15 New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    I do not think that she is hot. Iwas raining all day and it was cool. I feel so bad for giving her the lemon juice.

7. JHaller

JHaller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Austin TX
    It's my understanding that chickens don't do well with citrus of any kind (oranges, grapefruit, llimes, lemons, tangerines, mandarins, etc).

Try offering her a little milk or yogurt or whatever dairy product you have on hand.

Good luck!
    Judith

8. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I don't think lemon juice will dissolve a fish bone (or anything else.) Try soaking a bone in lemon juice for a few days and see how it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by