1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, New to Idaho

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FortChiggn, Jan 28, 2012.

1. FortChiggn

FortChiggn New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Hi,
    Moved here from the pacific northwest last spring and I've been pretty homesick. I had to leave my wonderful tiny flock of backyard hens with an animal rescue place there and think about them all the time. I'm planning on starting a new tiny flock (3 hens) this spring and converting the root shed in my backyard into their chicken fortress. It's been nice to be able to log into BYC as a lurking non-member all through my move but it made me miss my girls a lot. Think I'm finally ready to start over. I live in a typical 50's built suburban neighborhood of little houses in Nampa. My house is tiny but it has a big yard that will have a pretty big veggie garden this summer. In addition to their eggs what I really value about chickens is the free manure and bug patrol, this place could use both, -a lot. A spider the size of a silver dollar ran across my floor last summer and plenty of others the size of quarters. Back in the PNW my chickens ranged in my yard and ate ALL the huge slugs and snails, and helped with sowbugs and cutworms. Here I hope they take care of the earwigs and dare I say it, giant friggin' wolf spiders.
    While it's still winter I'm combing the pages of BYC looking for the best breed/housing ideas, etc for my situation. I've called to the county extension office and they said a few hens, no rooster, 50 feet from the nearest neighbor and it should be okay. I'm planning on one each of the following, hopefully quiet reliable egg layers if I can find them all at once: Australorp, Black Star and Plymouth Rock, -but I have a back up list if one or more is unavailable.
    If anyone knows a good local supplier big or small I'd be happy to hear about it, I know there's at least one big breeder in Caldwell but they get mixed reviews from my research.

Thanks!

2. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that you had to give up your old flock but am delighted that you will be starting a new one.
    Starting from scratch is nice so you can make everything perfect. I add on to my coop about two times every year, making it bigger and more efficient. The three main things I have that make it easier are a large feeder, cup waterers and a poop drop tray below their sleeping roost that allows me to pull out their poop and scrape off so there is no poop in the coop.
    Good luck on your new flock!

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

5. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG]

Hi! Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your new flock!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

9. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your flock. Glad to hear your getting more chickens!

~AnnElise

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by